• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jewel cichlids query

mscichlid

Founder
Can anyone sex this species? Do you have pic of the male and the female or a reference to images? I was lucky to get a male from minifoot, thinking I had a female, but one of the fish is in one corner while the other rules the rest of the 33 long. I would like to spawn and photograph this beautiful fish.

If they aren't a pair,I'd like to evict them to a ten and set up this tank for a pair of adoketa instead.

mscichlid

Founder
Thanks for the info, my son...:) I'll take a closer look at them and see what I need to make the mating possible.

"You have a very informative site. One thing I notice on many sites is the statement that Jewel Cichlids are difficult to sex. In fact they are easy. I have been spawning them for over 30 years.
The tail is the key. Females have a red edge and a bit of color on the top of the tail which fades out about half way down to a yellowish gray. Males have a latticework of red and sky blue markings throughout the tail, top to bottom, and in all the way to the body. The difference occurs while the fish are still very young."