• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jewel cichlid eggs question?

MelissaRoberts

CCA Members
my jewel cichlids just laid eggs if I move them to a new tank with no other fish do they need the parents to? I am new to the whole egg laying thing, how do I care for them?

chriscoli

Administrator
Jewels are usually excellent parents, so I try to leave the eggs with the parents. Once they hatch and are free-swimming, I'll siphon off some of the fry into a separate tank if I need to.

If you can't leave them with the parents, then you can remove the item they were laid on (a rock, for example) to a new tank. I put an airstone near the eggs so that it's creating constant water flow over them. They'll eventually hatch and fall to the bottom. I find that I don't get as many to survive this way but a few should make it.

You may want to add some methylene blue to prevent the spread of fungused eggs. Also, you'll need something small to feed the fry once they hatch.

MelissaRoberts

CCA Members
Jewels are usually excellent parents, so I try to leave the eggs with the parents. Once they hatch and are free-swimming, I'll siphon off some of the fry into a separate tank if I need to.

If you can't leave them with the parents, then you can remove the item they were laid on (a rock, for example) to a new tank. I put an airstone near the eggs so that it's creating constant water flow over them. They'll eventually hatch and fall to the bottom. I find that I don't get as many to survive this way but a few should make it.

You may want to add some methylene blue to prevent the spread of fungused eggs. Also, you'll need something small to feed the fry once they hatch.
Thanks that’s very helpful

MelissaRoberts

CCA Members

You may want to add some methylene blue to prevent the spread of fungused eggs. Also, you'll need something small to feed the fry once they hatch.[/QUO I am worried all the other fish will eat the fry after they hatch.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
You might lose some from the Mbuna and oscars, but that’s probably okay because if you get a good hatch rate, you’ll be overrun with them pretty quickly.

I ended up with 200 in one hatch. They are REALLY good parents and breeders once they get going.