• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jeepers -- calm down boys!

Of six females I got from Tony just one week before ACA -- four are now holding! The two boys in the tank do seem extremely proud of themselves. They really need to chill. I'm feeding in the morning and only four out of eight fish are eating! :eek:

Just wait until the girls all start spitting and I start panicking!!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Aye yai yai....

Sorry my fish are giving you a heart condition, Holly. I remember you saying that a good sight break calmed them down a bit. Looks like they figured it out?

While ruby reds aren't the most meek of peacock, they are certainly not the most aggressive. When my originaly group was that size, I kept them in a 20 long until they out grew and then lived in a 40B. Aggression was never too bad iirc.

What is your temperature at? Maybe lower it a hair to slow them down?

Maybe add a couple of rainbow dithers? I had some good luck with them in the past in calming down overly aggressive male peacocks. I have a couple of them that you can have if you'd like to give it a shot. Nothing fancy, just some ornate-looking guys I got from Mike Barber a couple years back.

Peacocks love to chase rainbows and rainbows are pretty darn durable and quick.

Worth a shot, no?

PS: Love your usage of the term "Jeepers." That really is one of those words that needs to be more readily used in everyday conversation. I think the world would be a happier place. ;)

Actually, tony, not sure what to do with this tank. The alpha male keeps chasing everyone into hiding -- even the holding girls -- despite the sight break. The second male stays out of his way and there's no real problem there. And then, as I told you, the girls were lip-locking, too.

So I have a very pretty planted tank that has fish in it if you loookkkk reallllllyyy closely. sigh

Temp is 78 . . .

Aesthetically, I'm not a big fan of dithers. they ruin the fung shui of the tank!! :)

Matt!! You are a bad boy!

This is not the tank with the aforementioned (frequently discussed) biowheel, metaphorical or not . . .

bschuhart

Members
I have 3 tanks of Ruby Reds growing out so I separated the Male from the females in my 40B with egg grate...well that lasted 4 months and last week they knocked the divider down and while I was at work they were quit busy, all 5 females are holding.

I think knocking down the egg crate is very cute. I have a mental image -- OK:wub: girls, if you want me you have to puuuuussshhhhh

dogofwar

CCA Members
A big difference between old world and new worlds:

If the divider gets knocked down with pairs of new worlds, I expect to see the mangled female on the other side...

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
A big difference between old world and new worlds:

If the divider gets knocked down with pairs of new worlds, I expect to see the mangled female on the other side...

Matt

If my divider gets knocked down, I expect to see a mangled male and a female torn in pieces.

Update!

At this point, the only one of six females not holding is the one that just spit.

But I'm not holding out hopes of having lots of fry. Even with the piles of rocks I've got for the babies, it looks like I only have one (maybe two) from the one mama that just spit . . .

I may toy with trying to pull one of the females into the newly set up BN tank and let her spit in there. But I'm always afraid of chasing everyone around and having the girls get stressed . . .

verbal

CCA Members
At this point, the only one of six females not holding is the one that just spit.

But I'm not holding out hopes of having lots of fry. Even with the piles of rocks I've got for the babies, it looks like I only have one (maybe two) from the one mama that just spit . . .
I would not be surprised if there are more than that hiding that you can't see. You might only end up with a couple per spawn, but the small guys are pretty good at hiding.

I may toy with trying to pull one of the females into the newly set up BN tank and let her spit in there. But I'm always afraid of chasing everyone around and having the girls get stressed . . .

If you want maximum yield your best bet is stripping the fry from the females. If the spawns are close, they should be free swimming or very close.

Also letting the female spit should be pretty effective. I think Matt suggested getting fish right as the lights are turned on, can be a lot easier. Or if you want to be really sneaky you could use a flash light and catch them "sleeping".

It's a very planted tank. Honestly, even with the lights one I can't find them if they're hiding.

I'm hoping more of the little guys are hiding around. I'm very neurotic, so I move the rocks in the rock pile to see if anyone is there and then they dart out and for all I know get eaten before they come back to hide again in the rock pile. I'm trying to let it be and not be so neurotic!