• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jack Dempsey Eggs

dankdabe

Members
So my JDs laid eggs yesterday for the 3rd time in a month. Yes a month. They've been laying eggs, on average, every week and a half. Its asburd. Anyhow neither of the previous batches survived and Im wondering whats going wrong. The JDs have gone throw identical processes each time, digging out sand underneath and around a cave down to the glass, cleaning the rock, and general courtship behavior (lots of shaking and vibrating from the male). Anywho, the female has been really good about guarding and fanning the eggs; however several eggs always end up turning white within 24 hours. I've heard of people putting an air stone by the rock to help ensure no particles land on the eggs, but I'm not sure that's the root of the problem. Last night only one egg was white, this morning maybe one tenth are white. The issue seems to be that enough of the eggs turn white and eventually grow a white fungus that rapidly spreads to all of the eggs and kills them all within 2-3 days. Anyone have any suggestions? Im not dead set on trying to save this batch, but rather would like some tips for the next, inevitable spawn. Has anyone on here pulled out the rock gently and picked off white eggs and put the rock back? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, props to Chad for raising up the most spawn obsessed horndog Jack Dempseys ever. Getting to watch their courtship behavior every couple of weeks has been really fun.

David

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
there are some fungal meds you can add to the water to prevent fungus if it is fungus. are the eggs turning white because the male cant fertilize them? by this im wondering if he can get his miltto the eggs. i had that happen before.

dankdabe

Members
I've wondered the same thing before. So I was only able to witness the egg laying the first go around and he was definitely following right after her and he definitely was "showing" if you know what I mean.

Hawkman2000

Members
I think Pimafix is the botanical treatment for fungus. Melafix won't hurt, cant guarantee that it would help, but it won't hurt. I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry though. I still have a bunch of their offspring to get rid of. Glad you are enjoying them. Does the male still have issues with a stick?