• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

It is just about time

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
It is just about time to start preping your fish for the BOWL SHOW at the Catfish Convention. Preping your fish perpares them for the show so they appear their best and gives them an excellent chance to get back home without any problem.

Review this thread if you want to know how to prep your fish for a show or for shipping them to a friend or a customer.

http://pvas.com/Forum/forumid/1/threadid/78388/scope/posts

I will likely start preping my fish for the show on Tuesday Oct 2nd or more likely Wed Oct 3rd. But all you really need is a day or two in advance of shipping or showing your fish.

chriscoli

Administrator
Frank, since we need to bring our own "fish bowl" what do people usually use? Critter Keepers? Empty pretzel containers? small fishtanks? What works best, in your opinion?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The requirement it that one side at least be flat to give an undistorted view of the fish for judging. Other than that any bowl or tank or critter keeper will do. But the container should of course be sized to the fish. Killies can easily be shown in a small bowl or tank. But large cichlids should probably be shown in a 10 gallon or larger tank. If you bring a tank larger than a 10 gallon you need also bring a stand for it.
oH and the tank need not be full. Since the bowls do not have filters and probably not aeration, it is best to have just more than enough water depth to allow the fish to swim upright. The shallow water always allows more oxygen for the fish than deeper water that has no mechanical water flow. That is why I recommend lowering the water level in a tank when there is a power outage.
It is also strongly recommended that the tank be covered. Plastic wrap like that used for food storage will be available/provided for people to cover their entries. Glass lids can be used also. Only clear colorless lids are allowed.