• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Inverters Vs Generator

mscichlid

Founder
Okay two power outages in less than 7 days has me convinced that I must have a backup system.

I want a stand-by generator but I'll have to get a propane tank. Don't want that in my backyard.

If I buy a generator, it definantly will have to run more than my fishroom. Can a generator be rigged to plug to the breaker box in anyway? How the heck will I be able to secure a generator to make sure no one takes it while I'm at work?

The inverter you guys mentioned will suffice for my linear airpump, but I would have to buy a car battery to put in the fishroom since I can't get my car close to the backyard. Besides, I couldn't sleep if I left my hood open and ran a cord to the back of the house.

Help me decide. I'm to pissed to figure it all out. :FIREdevil: :FIREdevil:

Thanks

Francine

maddog10

Members
If you go with a big generator, you may as well go all out and get a decent sized diesel model. They can be set up on automatic transfer switches and start up seconds after the power goes out. They get wired into the electric panel(s) of your house - $6000 minimum with transfer switch. The cheap solution is to get a small gas generator to run your air pump. Probably could get away with the smallest one they make. When the power goes out just take it outside, start it up and run an extension cord to the pump - couple hundred bucks. Inverters are nice if you want an automatic system (most people do not need one), but they take up a fair amount of space, inside the house, batteries do not last forever and will need to be replaced periodically. I would go the generator route, actually that is the route I did take.

longstocking

Members
Go the generator route....

Only reason we have an inverter is it came with Bill's job down in DC :)

The inverter is not a good idea for long outages. If that happens we are in trouble ! Yes, I would have to stay up to make sure no one stole the car or broke in to our home.

Generators ... only way. We just had an easy and free solution.... so we used it.

cyradis4

Members
The generator is deffinitally the way to go.

But it does cost.

However, Sarah, if you get a pair of Golf Cart batteries to use with the inverter, you can leave them in the house and they will run the pumps for at least a day with out starting to drain down much. Thats what we use....... Now, at least..... But hopefully we will eventually change to a generator.....

Amanda.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You should know some of the other problems with a gas generator. Part of Reston was out for a bit more than 24 hours and a friend here went out and bought a big gas generator for $1200. It was the last one Home Depot had. It ran his whole fishroom including lights, the TV, the refrigerator, and a freezer. We do not know if it was maxed out or not. All required long extension cords.

It was loud. It was very loud. Power was out in his whole neighborhood so no one had air. The generator ran day and night. People had all their windows open, especially while they tried to sleep. Neighbors, especially those without their own noisy generators, were not happy. In Virginia there are not hard and fast rules but in Maryland the law states that if your neighbor complains, the cops must shut down your generator.

And yes, since it has to be outside, someone could swipe it.

My suggestion is that you just grin and bear or bare it and pray for good weather.

George

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Or run an extension cord to your neighbors house for his fridge and a fan.

Mine would have to sit very close to the neighbors house so I have already talked to him and told him he could run some if the need ever arises. I also have a couple pieces of old plywood in my shed that I am holding on to just to put next to the generator to deflect some of the noise towards my house and away from the neighbors. Will not help much but shows I am trying.

Spine

Members
I agree with everyone, the portable generator is probably your best bet. If you go with the inverter get a good quality deep-cycle marine battery they usually come with a carrying strap. You could also use a dolly to make moving it easier.

Back in the day, before we had our drivers license the big thing was was late night minibike drag racing on the C&O Canal towpath. Everyone had Briggs & Stratton(Lawnmower) engines of various horsepower, anyway we were able to go undetected because we quieted them by replacing the stock muffler with what we called a stinger. The stinger was just a piece of threaded metal pipe that we would get in the plumbing section at the local hardware store and a longer lawnmower or tractor muffler screwed on at the end. We wrapped the pipe with insulation tape and found that this combo of long pipes and longer mufflers gave us quiet without a loss in performance. Here are a couple of links for some more modern methods of doing the same thing.

http://www.grnet.com/therhinosuite/y2kandg...donvj's.htm
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm
http://bm.tribe.net/thread/a2eb0958-7c7d-4...a3-f4a9d36cc71e

If you do get a generator and you're running extension cords to the house make sure the cords a heavy gauge/high amp.
Those skinny orange(13amp)cords everyone uses out in the yard should not be used.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...3&langId=-1

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I need to buy a back up for electrical outages also. Looked a The banner back up system advertised on local radio, but dropped it when I found out they want 20 thousand dollars for their system. I looked at gasoline powered generators which is probably what I will end up with but they run on gasoline, so they have to be put outside, but kept inside the garage when not in use. The gallons per hour use of gasoline is a factor. Honda engines are suppose to be the most economical. But to run a compressor you have to run the generator all of the time. I also have a sump inthe basement and a freezer and possibly a furnace that need electricity. And these latter items only need electricity a couple of hours at a time. So it seems to me that a combination system would be best. That is a small generator that could be run a few hours at a time to power the furnace to keep warm in the winter and to cook on and to keep the stuff in the refrig cold. If it could also be used for a few hours at a time to recharge a set of batteries on a inverter system to run the compressor on a continuous basis, well, then all my electric needs are satisfied without having to run a generator continuously.

BYW our local electric company will install a backup generator and wire the circuit control panel for abotu 10,000 dollars. For this you get an automatic system that is installed in a fairly secure shed attached to your house. But it is kind of pricey.

Anyone know of a inverter system consisting of a couple of batteries, (boat, car, golf cart?) and a DC to AC converter? Price?

By the way I cannot figure out how to change fonts using the buttons at the top of this page. How is it done? :blush:

Lowes/ home Depot and many other places carry a range of generators for 500 to 3,000 or more dollars.

Frank

maddog10

Members
Since we are talking generators and noise. An important option to look at is an automatic throttle, it runs faster when there is a power draw and then slows back down to idle.

BTW - Screw the neighbors, they are just jealous. If the power is out at night turn on all the lights just to make them even madder! :angel2:

mscichlid

Founder
Julie suggested Jehmco for an inverter so I looked there first: http://www.jehmco.com/html/battery_backup_system.html Then I found this: http://www.invertersrus.com/ Then I read this about how it works: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/doityour...uariumpower.htm

I think I want the generator, but I will have to consider getting a welder to build a cage for it.

Frank to change anything you have to highlight it and then pick what you want to do with the text. Each time you want to add a different attribute you have to highlight everything again in order for it to take effect.

Francine

longstocking

Members
I know nothing about inverters ! I just watched Bill hook the whole thing up about a year ago :lol:

He might know a thing or two about them though.... you could ask him at the meeting if you wanted to. If I tried to relay what he said I'm sure I would mess it up !

I must say... it was really nice when we had to use it. I was amazed and I'm much more relaxed when bad storms come through. I'm usually watching my tanks for spawning instead of praying the power doesn't go out.

It is a cheaper solution than a generator... so if price is an issue ....

Julie

Members
Here's my 2 cents worth...

For me.. to gain me a couple of hours for the fish tanks air blower to work, I want an inverter. That way, if I didn't suspect the power was out (sometimes it happens with no warning around here... and without noticeable cause!!) the fish room blower would have power.

BUT to run the house and fishroom, I have a generator. I have (with help!) wired it to easily go into the electrical panel in my house... so it'll run just about everything.. and if running the gennie for days, I rotate the needed items. It was easy to wire up, one end has a plug to fit into the generator, and the other end is wired into a circuit breaker. Power goes out, I turn off the big power switch, turn on the gennie, and toss that switch, and I have lights and power and whatever!!

Yes, scary the first time I had to plug it in myself... but awesome!

There is a down side to a gennie tho... especially since I can't easily see my neighbors... I never know when the electricity comes back on!!!