• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Invasive Plants Threaten Many States

marge618

CCA member
Here's the website. Apparently these plants are out there... easy to come by if you are not forwarned... seem cute, pretty, and grow fast.. but cause so much harm they are 'illegal'.

I am sure that none of us wants to add to the problems our ponds and streams already have!

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1028/p13s02-sten.html?s=widep

If you are not 'plant wise' how do you identify these illegal plants? Is there a set of pictures and descriptions somewhere? :confused0083:

I'd appreciate more info on this topic!

Later,
Marge

marge618

CCA member
Google helps alot.
So does asking people in the know = CCA friends.
Now I'd like to check with the MDNR to find out what aquatic plants they are concerned about.

Maybe we could 'adopt' a stream, or small area of fresh water and help erradicate the bad stuff as a clean up the environment effort.

Later,
Marge

mscichlid

Founder
Are there Cichlids in these streams? Gwapa is already doing this. Not to say there aren't other streams to help, but ...GWAPA is doing this and since you are a member now...

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Feb 28 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are there Cichlids in these streams? Gwapa is already doing this. Not to say there aren't other streams to help, but ...GWAPA is doing this and since you are a member now...[/b]

Yes, GWAPA is doing this. If they do something like this far from my home ... I would like to find something in my own backyard....

Meanwhile, I have asked MDNR and 2 other contacts about how to identify the nasties. I think it's similar to bird watching. Unless you go out and look at the species - with a guide - in the 'wild' you might never recognize them on your own.

Interesting.

Later,
Marge