• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Interesting observations when babies are returned to parent's tank

As some of you know, I'm a bit obsessed with my rainbow cichlid pair. In July, I snagged six fry to try my hand at raising them myself. Two survived and grew large enough that I returned them on Saturday to the planted 58-gallon with their parents, tetras, cories and ABNs. I'd guess the two are a boy and a girl as one is twice the size of the other.

Immediately upon being released, the boy went straight to the side of the tank that the cichllids have "claimed" and where he was essentially born and raised. Dad came out and looked at him and I swear there was a look of recognition. Dad did not chase him away. This morning, the "boy" was over on the cichlid side eating bloodworms from the bottom. Neither cichlid parent bothered him. Also interesting is that the two babies appear bondeed, at least in the sense that they know theyr'e not a tetra!

Anyway, I'm tickled that these two were saved and have been successflly reintroduced. The parents have yet to succeed in raising their own . . . .