• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

inspired to try mbunas

Ading522

Members
Thanks again for all the feedback and continuing advice! It's crazy, when I joined CCA a year and a half ago as a newbie hobbyist, I was pretty intimidated by cichlids and didn't think I would ever keep them. (I joined mostly because Silver Spring is a lot more convenient for me to get to than Fairfax for PVAS meetings, which I can only make sporadically.) And now here I am, thinking about setting up a mbuna tank.

One more question....for substrate, the tank that I'm thinking about using has Fluorite as substrate, which I'm guessing is not good for mbunas. Do I need that specialized cichlid sand that I see costs $$$$, or can I just go with silica sand from Home Depot?

If you are closer to silver spring, there is a pool supply store called Leslie's.. Its in Kensington.. You can search the internet for a more closer location, but personally I like the PFS from Leslie's..it has a better natural look in my opinion..have tried other PFS and just didn't like it.. It all falls to taste..but check them out.. $9.50/ 50 lb bag is worth it.. :)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CichlidOWNR

Members
Since the brand name is out, I also am a fan of and use Leslie's PFS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Since the brand name is out, I also am a fan of and use Leslie's PFS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

+1 I didn't even need to wash it many times over..just rinsed once.. And put in the tank with a small container .. I didn't have any of those floating grains unlike other brands.. I purchased one not from leslies just because it was closer to home but was unhappy with the color and they way it floated around even though I rinsed it..so I had to throw it out and just get Leslie's..wasted my time and effort..should have just gone with Leslie's in the first place..never going to try another.. Hopefully Leslie's will stay around forever..:)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App