• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Info on NGO from Don Conkel presentation?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Don Conkel mentioned that he's on the Board of Directors for something called "SUMA" (sp?), which is a NGO (non-governmental organization) in Guatemala and is supported by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

I'm a WWF member and wanted to learn more about it.

It sounds like they're promoting the use of native fish (vs. tilapia) as food fish, among other things. This is the organization that Don said has the world's second largest catamaran...

Anyone have any links or info about this?

Thanks,
Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
SUMA seems to have ended in 2001.

I searched the LSS website for "conkel" and "cichlid" and NADA.

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sent to Don:

Hi Don,

Thanks for presenting at the CCA meeting a couple of weeks ago. Much appreciated!

A quick question:

I'm trying to find out more about the NGO (SUMA) that you referenced in your talk and their work with cichlids. I know that a lot of hobbyists are interested in conservation and might be interested in contributing or otherwise getting involved.

Could you send me more information?

Thanks,
Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Someone just emailed me that Don's presentation was the same one that he gave at the ACA convention 6 years ago....

Matt