• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Importing fish

Enkay

Members
Hello,

Has anyone here imported or does import fish from another country?

I was interested in knowing what is involved. Especially with regards to permits, licenses etc.

Any information on the subject is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

illpoet

Members
i'd be interested in this too. not that i could actually afford to do it but i daydream about it lots!

longstocking

Members
The freight fees alone are very pricey.... from any of the locations that usually export fish. We are talking thousands. There are usually min. orders but it depends on what company. The licenses are the easy part.

Not that I have even done it .... but, my friends keep me in the loop.

mscichlid

Founder
http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/Questions&Answers12092008.pdf

http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Designated_Ports.htm

You'll have to apply for an importers license. Then they will inspect your facilities. You'll have to renew it annually (I think).

Then after you are ready to go, you'll have to find a trustworthy exporter. Some will take your money and give you nothing in return. There are usually minimum orders, like Sarah said, like 5, 10 boxes. At times, you may get to order less than the minimum if you have a good relationship with the exporter; i.e. you buy a lot often. Expect that you will get fish that were not on your list. Expect that you will not get refunded, but will be given credit on your next order.
Expect that you may lose a box or maybe two from a myriad of things like, 20 to 50% loss due to fish being left on tarmac, not properly bagged or shipped, leaking bags, ammonia burns, disease. Expect to spend hours putting fish away. Expect more losses. Expect that your shipment could be delayed somewhere and not come in on time.

Buying from a wholesaler who has already brought the fish in is a little easier.

There a few on this forum who import. Msjinkd is one.

Last edited:

Enkay

Members
All comments very interesting. Now I am even more curious. Is there an importer on the forum who can shed more light on the subject?

MsJinkd???

Thanks!

jrpatter

Members
I have imported a few times. Its pretty straight forward, you get the permits i believe it is 100 now. Then you work with an exporter, they generally handle all of the vet inspections and export permits so all you have to do is wire them cash, then pay air freight to US, then pay a customs broker, here in NC we dont have a USFW inspection station so we have to import to another state and then get the fish shipped over. I have seen import costs range from $90 a fish box to $210 a fish box.

Most airlines charge by the weight not number of boxes, also they have a weight range, so 1-50 kilos is 1 price, then 51-100 is another, etc most good shippers know these limits and set order miniums to maximize this.

To give you an idea of how much a box can hold, generally I get 80 apistos in a box.

john

Enkay

Members
Thanks John. Do you know a customs broker? Which airlines have you used to import?

Wish I knew this when I met you at the PVAS :).

I wish someone writes a "for DUmmies" series book on this. Would be very helpful.