• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Im new, any breeders in eastern PA?

Twosick4u

Members
Hi everyone I'm fairly new to this hobby (taking it serious n doing everything right w/out cuttin corners anyway) and I can't find any good fish stores in or around my area. The only good one is 2 hours away. I can't find plants or any dwarf cichlids that I want at any of the LFS's in my area. Every LFS has the same common fish available as do all the others. I can't even find Java moss, if there's anybody who breeds/deals/sells fish n plants in the Lehigh valley area please contact me. twosick2betwisted@yahoo.com
Thanks everyone

Twosick4u

Members
Hey thanks Guys, in around 2 months I'm gonna b looking for dwarf cichlids, I'd like to get some apistos for my 72 bow. I just got it Sunday and I still have to set it up. I'm gonna make it into a nice planted tank. The thing that's holding me up is the substrate. I want the eco-complete from caribsea n its gonna b expensive to get enough for that tank. But once I get that I can start cycling and adding plants. So hopefully I can start adding fish in 2 months. I really like the cockatoo cichlids and the panda cichlids. I'd like to get a harem of each species. I plan on planting the tank heavily. I have good lighting for it 6 bulb t5 4ft sunpower that should grow almost any plant I want to try. This is gonna b my first tank were I'm gonna b patient n do it 100% right w/out cuttin corners to save a couple bucks. I figure by 2 months I'll have all the plants in n b ready for the fish but I'm gonna start w dither fish n test the water for ten days n then go after my prize apistos I want so bad. Only time will tell if I can keep my patience or not but I really want to do this 1 right for once.

minifoot77

Members
i wouldn't keep two species of apistos in one tank they could cross breed and you my never figure out what female goes with which male....

Twosick4u

Members
Never thought of that, maybe I'll put my pair of kribs n a harem of apistos then n put a harem in the tank I have my kribs in or just look for some other dwarf cichlid besides apistos, I already have rams so maybe nanachromis or I seen a south African mouthbrooder which is a dwarf but it didn't say about its water parameters n I don't have any idea if there even available in the fish trade. I guess that's something I should look into. Well I have atleast 2 months to find a good match so luckily I found this forum. So far hearing other ppls first hand experience is far better then anything I get out of books.

verbal

CCA Members
A couple of great fish to pair with kribs are Anomalochromis thomasi - the African Dwarf butterfly cichlid and the Pseudocrenilabrus species.

Kribs might work with Rams, but I think apistos would probably work better.

The idea with these combinations is the fish are relatively close in size and aggressiveness, but use different spawning strategies. This limits the competition for breeding spaces.

Rams and Anomalochromis thomasi are open water spawners. The apistos and kribs are cave spawners. Psuedocrenilabrus are mouthbrooders.

Charlutz

Members
Welcome. You should contact Kurt Johnston (user name: kaj41354) of the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County. http://aclcpa.org/ They have monthly meetings at That Pet Place in Lancaster. There are also a few breeders in Allentown, including Valley Aquatics.

BevN

Members
I'll have some pairs in a few months.

I keep a number of different apistos together. Currently I have fire red aggies, veijita and panduro all in the same tank. As long as you have caves, plants and driftwood mixing species isn't a problem.

With the above they are so different there is no problem telling the females apart. I have never had any apisto cross breed. I usually have two types growing out in one tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I am in York, PA and don't have many dwarf cichlids, but I have a ton of plants and other interesting critters. Check out my website and see if you would be interested.