• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

If you were building yourself a fishroom.

If you were building yourself a fishroom today would you

• Make it all on central filtration. Drilled tanks.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Keep each tank separate. No drilled tanks.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Make a combination with some tanks on central and others not.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Make them separate but have them drilled for water changes only.

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

dogofwar

CCA Members
Other than buying drilled tanks (or tanks that have been drilled), what's the best method for getting a bunch of tanks drilled?

DIY? - who in the club is good at it and has the tools?
A glass shop? - Which one and how much?
LFS?

Very few of my tanks are drilled but I have DIY PVC overflows on most tanks (for the auto water change system).

I voted a mix of central and separate. Central for fry grow out and separate for big tanks and quarantine. And all with auto water change system.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
:happy0158: on the auto water changers, although I hear some people like to do water changes :confused0024:. All my tanks have auto water changers. One day I'd like to do a central filter with the exception of one or two for Q.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Since I keep a bunch of critters with a varied range of needs, i voted a central system for some and others on their own.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I voted for the combination system, because having quarantine tanks on a central system would defeat the point. Sponge filters or box filters would be good for these tanks since fish would be housed short term.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Matt, the only one I know of with lots of experiance with drilling would be Ron Nielson but have not seen him much lately.

Julie

Members
Matt,

Be sure and talk to Dennis while you are at the BBQ today (assuming you read this first!). He drilled all the tanks on the two new racks, and said that it was easy (after the first one!!) Got the drillbit from Jehmco.

I don't think had ANY problems at all!

I'd never go totally central, just like Rachel said, too many types of fishes I keep! But I'd love to pretty much do all the sub-75 gallon tanks like my two newest racks! For the big tanks I think I need to do a portable version of what Matt showed me. And I really need to think on how to do a continuous drip for my rays...

Although Kim is pretty much my *auto-water changer*. And she works at a bakery... fringe benefits! She pays ME when she works sometimes!!!! :D

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I did get one cancel notice this morning Julie but still
should be a good turn out.
I will TRY to be there a little early with the table and stuff.

See you in a few hours.

Julie

Members
awwww...

but yeah, Sarah and I figure over 30 peoples!! I'm looking forward to all the food (hey, I got a teenaged boy to feed!) and all the different beers (Hey, I got a teenaged boy to ... ooops!!! :rolleyes:)

I would have a mixed system. I would put all that you can on a central. I would have a wall on sponge filters for hospitals, roamers, special cases, and of course fry.

mab

Members
I'm in the process of a fishroom (actually two) rebuild. R/O system is installed along with an autodoser to treat tap water. Next step are the storage drums for rainwater (R/O is to supplement in the winter). Once that is finish its a new rack with 10gs and 20gs for breeding purposes that will have 50%/day water change capability with drip emitters. Then it is on to the big fishroom to deconstruct the racks to convert all 50plus tanks to the drip autochange system.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Since any attempt at DIY plumbing would surely result in DIY flooding and angry neighbors, I voted to keep every tank seperate. If I felt more secure in my plumbing abilities and believed that the floor could support a large amount of weight in one place, I think I would have gone with the combo of some plumbed together and others seperate.

Lively

Members
I want mab to build my fishroom - sounds like heaven! lol I'm trying to figure out how to route some of my rainwater from the roof to the basement for a central tank system and for auto changes on a softwater system. And, not make it look like crap... lol

I said mix. I'm becoming fond of the soft water fishies so perhaps two central systems, soft water being a bit smaller and several stand alones for misc. needs.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I see after visiting Discus Hans yesterday,
some more people have thought about central systems.
lol

dogofwar

CCA Members
I actually am in the process of adding to / reorganizing part of my fishroom after acquiring 7 drilled 12"x24"x12" tanks (15g)

I think they're going to be on a central system and incorporated into a 125g under them

Matt

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org