• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

If lake Tang is the dark side then....

F8LBITE

Members
Get the Anubias out of the pots. ;) Minima, Lanceolata, not sure which, but get the rhizome out of the pots or it'll rot eventually. Tie it to small rocks and lay it on top of the sand to keep the location. I use florist's wire to tie anubias, works great, inexpensive, and already green colored so blends.

The only plant I see that'll demand dosing is the Blyxa Japonica. It likes the water column dosed (I don't keep it for this very reason); iron, potassium, nitrates in the water for it mostly.

It also likes a nutrient rich substrate - it is a plain ole nutrient hog and demands it to do well in my experience.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=123&category=genus&spec=Blyxa

I'd suggest cryptocorenes instead and then it would be all medium-low light and undemanding of ferts, but not sure about dicus temps and crypts. Similar size though; you could try Willissii or Lucens, both pretty commonly found via online retailers or some shops.

Thanks for the info. I was told since I had sand to the plants would do better in the pots but they are an eysore and I didnt like leaving them in there so this is good news.

F8LBITE

Members
Did I see a glass heater in there... man I hate those... couldn't understand why the dang tank kept shocking me until did a monthly clean and found glass all over the bottom...That said, I have one in my bare bottom 'cause I can see it well.

Interesting looking fish - not a huge fan - but those are very interesting and beautiful.

Im working my way toward replacing all my heaters for the titanium ones with remote thermostat but theyre like $40/each.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great looking setup, the plants add a nice theme. A couple more discus and some cardinals and you'll be set! The discus are a little more maintenance than the Africans, but definitely worth it in my opinion. Exotic aquatics in baltimore usually has cardinals as well, but I can check out tropical fish world for you if you want. They're only about 10 minutes from me.

YSS

Members
Don't mean to highjack the thread, but here are some pics of my baby discus I recently purchased. These pictures are taken two days after the arrival. I received the fish on 5-9 and they are doing great! I will post pics of my tank soon. Too lazy to clean the tank and take pics. For some reason, full tank shots don't come out very good.

discus1.jpg
discus2.jpg

discus3.jpg
discus4.jpg

discus5.jpg
discus6.jpg

discus7.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The red ones are Han's Marlboros and Blue diamond i think but the other ones I dont know what they are.

I think the "other" 2 are flachen x snakeskin crosses. They are one of Han's more popular strains. Flachen are solid turquoise and snakeskin have the narrow red striations throughout the body. They appear to have the solid color with some striations coming through. Discus color up like africans; the older they get, the better their color is expressed. They'll be easier to ID once they get bigger. Being that Hans is a forum member, I'm sure he could identify them for you if you ask.

F8LBITE

Members
Don't mean to highjack the thread, but here are some pics of my baby discus I recently purchased. These pictures are taken two days after the arrival. I received the fish on 5-9 and they are doing great! I will post pics of my tank soon. Too lazy to clean the tank and take pics. For some reason, full tank shots don't come out very good.

discus1.jpg
discus2.jpg

discus3.jpg
discus4.jpg

discus5.jpg
discus6.jpg

discus7.jpg

they sure look great bud!

iamzrad

Members
Great looking setup, the plants add a nice theme. A couple more discus and some cardinals and you'll be set! The discus are a little more maintenance than the Africans, but definitely worth it in my opinion. Exotic aquatics in baltimore usually has cardinals as well, but I can check out tropical fish world for you if you want. They're only about 10 minutes from me.

EA also has some nicely sized Discus with cool colors.
They are even in there own little section on their own little shelves.
^That has to mean something, right? :lol:

F8LBITE

Members
Theyre doing great man!! eating like hogs and growing big time. I took your advise and cranked the heat up to 85F , feed them frozen bloodworms, beef heart and NLS Discus formula. WC's every other day. BTW I havent lost a single white cloud since I put them in there and they appear to be doing well. Does anyone else have experience with them inhigher temps?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Glad to hear they're doing well. Post some updated pics when you get a chance. I heard you got 2 more really nice ones recently...

F8LBITE

Members
Glad to hear they're doing well. Post some updated pics when you get a chance. I heard you got 2 more really nice ones recently...

LOL I did!!! Thanks for the awesome fish Mike. Im going to get some pics soon. It looks like one of my marlboro's has doubled in size.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, they can definitely go through growth spirts at that age. They don't always grow evenly, the alpha male will definitely get more than his fair share of food. As long as everyone gets along, it shouldn't be a problem. Its crazy how big they can get, and the amount of food they can eat for their size.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Glad to hear things are working out for you. Discus can really be fun.
The higher temps will work on the metabolism of the White Clouds and
shorten their life span. If they live and you like them. Just get new
ones when these croak. They aren't quite as pricey as Discus.:lol:

George