• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

If lake Tang is the dark side then....

F8LBITE

Members
What dimension is this? The round side :D

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0853-1-1.jpg

F8LBITE

Members
Thanks to Mike "DiscusNAfricans" and Jen "Donkeyfish" for all your help with my first non-African tank.

maddog10

Members
Don't know what dimension/side it is, but the easiest way to get there is by taking a ride on the short bus :p

Nice tank!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
They are from the underwater city of Otoh Gunga...Jar Jar Binks hometown.

I guess Discus fish are known for being Globally Universal. In other words, everyone from around the world are into them.

I would love to have some one day.;)

Nice Tank JR!

RM

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
What dimension is this? The round side :D

No this is the "give up all hope ye who enter" side. You will have wild success and fall hopelessly in love or scream in utter frustration cursing outrageous fortune (slings and arrows etc.). Few find a middle ground so prepare yourself.

I do like the tank and wish you luck.

George

William of Stratford on Avon assisted in this post.

F8LBITE

Members
thanks guys!!

I really like these fish and water changes dont scare me so I think theyll do well. These guys are eating machines!! Im so used to not over feeding my Africans so it was almost strange to me to feed them 5 times a day but im getting used to it.

Jen what sort of fertilizer do you recommend for the plants?

YSS

Members
Looking good Jose. I thought you bought 4, but I count 5. :) By the way, I see white clouds in the tank. They are not warm water fish. They prefer water in the low to mid 70s. I heard in the 60s are fine as well. So, you may want to consider different dithers down the road. Otherwise, so far so good. Man, those red melons, or whatever they are, are going to look awesome in a few months.

F8LBITE

Members
Looking good Jose. I thought you bought 4, but I count 5. :) By the way, I see white clouds in the tank. They are not warm water fish. They prefer water in the low to mid 70s. I heard in the 60s are fine as well. So, you may want to consider different dithers down the road. Otherwise, so far so good. Man, those red melons, or whatever they are, are going to look awesome in a few months.

Thanks buddy, it was 5 from the beginning. I found that out about the White clouds after the fact. I looked for Cardinals everywhere but I couldnt find them thats what I really wanted. They have great color now so im excited about them getting even better as they grow. The red ones are Han's Marlboros and Blue diamond i think but the other ones I dont know what they are.

The last place I saw cardinals was at Petland in Fairfax. Its on Little River Turnpike outside the Beltway. There is a Chuck E Cheese next to it. They used to have a giant tank of them with Discus, but its been a while.

Cartel

Members
Tropical Fish World had alot of cardinals the other day. They had some sort of special on them which was pretty good if I remember right.

Also where does one pick up one of the blackworm feeders like in your pic jose? I wanna pick up some blackworms next month and the feeder looks like a cleaner way to go about it.

Last edited:

F8LBITE

Members
The last place I saw cardinals was at Petland in Fairfax. Its on Little River Turnpike outside the Beltway. There is a Chuck E Cheese next to it. They used to have a giant tank of them with Discus, but its been a while.

Thanks I know that place youre talking about.

F8LBITE

Members
Tropical Fish World had alot of cardinals the other day. They had some sort of special on them which was pretty good if I remember right.

Also where does one pick up one of the blackworm feeders like in your pic jose? I wanna pick up some blackworms next month and the feeder looks like a cleaner way to go about it.

Ill check that place out sometime ive never been there.

The cone is a much cleaner way to feed them worms and frozen cubes. You can get them at most fish stores in the food section, if you cant find one ill pick one up for you and bring it to the June meeting if you want.

ingg

Members
Get the Anubias out of the pots. ;) Minima, Lanceolata, not sure which, but get the rhizome out of the pots or it'll rot eventually. Tie it to small rocks and lay it on top of the sand to keep the location. I use florist's wire to tie anubias, works great, inexpensive, and already green colored so blends.

The only plant I see that'll demand dosing is the Blyxa Japonica. It likes the water column dosed (I don't keep it for this very reason); iron, potassium, nitrates in the water for it mostly.

It also likes a nutrient rich substrate - it is a plain ole nutrient hog and demands it to do well in my experience.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=123&category=genus&spec=Blyxa

I'd suggest cryptocorenes instead and then it would be all medium-low light and undemanding of ferts, but not sure about dicus temps and crypts. Similar size though; you could try Willissii or Lucens, both pretty commonly found via online retailers or some shops.

Lively

Members
Did I see a glass heater in there... man I hate those... couldn't understand why the dang tank kept shocking me until did a monthly clean and found glass all over the bottom...That said, I have one in my bare bottom 'cause I can see it well.

Interesting looking fish - not a huge fan - but those are very interesting and beautiful.

YSS

Members
Jose,

Let me know if you want in on the mail order for Cardinals. We can either split 50 or 100 or however we want to. Like I said on another post, the guy I got the fish from had quality cardinals and none died when they arrived.

mscichlid

Founder
Please quarentine your cardinals before putting them in with the discus!

Good looking tank! Good luck with raising the 'King of the Aquarium'.