• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ideas on Increasing Oxygenization

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Progress tonight - There was already an AC70 in the tank for flow/pushing waste towards the filter intakes. The port on the top to hook up the airline is larger than normal airline tubing, and the only section of tubing that I had that mostly fit didn't seem to seal well enough against the inlet to only suck in air instead of water. To resolve for the time being, I moved the suction inlet for the power head above the bubble stream for the sponge filter. This effectively takes large bubbles and makes them lots of smaller bubbles.

I also added an AC50 power head with the air attachment. This worked relatively well, but I need to keep the top of the power head at the water level or the suction isn't enough to draw air down the airline.

The net effect is a bunch of small air bubbles at one side of the tank. Effective but not all that aesthetically pleasing. I wonder if a bubble wand hooked up to a strong air pump would have similar effect but "look" better?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Notion

The port on the top to hook up the airline is larger than normal airline tubing, and the only section of tubing that I had that mostly fit didn't seem to seal well enough against the inlet to only suck in air instead of water.

I find that if you put airline tubing in really hot/boiling water it may be stretched almost obscenely. Bubble wands IME are a pain and time was they either made really large bubbles and/or became clogged very quickly. I have a brand new one you may have should you wish.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'll try the heat and stretch tomorrow. The fish have had enough of me piddling around in the tank for one evening.

I've had similar experiences with bubble wands, but I would think that an appropriately oversized air pump could help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app