• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I Need Some Cory Help

Kets

Members
One of my Corydoras metae has a bright red patch around its gill. The fish is is active and eating, but why des it have a red patch?

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Definitely increase your water changes. Sounds like hemorraghic septicemia:
Symptoms:
Bright red streaks on fins (caused by vascular inflammation due to systemic/bloodborne bacterial infection), patchy red discoloration around the body, pop-eye, protrusion of scales, distended abdomen, rapid breathing

Causes:
Gram negative motile rod bacteria. It is usually associated with poor water quality, stress and overpopulation. Transmission is done by contamination of water with diseased fish.

Treatment:
Broad spectrum antibiotics. Frequent water changes are necessary to improve water quality and allowing recovery of fish.

Lively

Members
Definitely increase your water changes. Sounds like hemorraghic septicemia:
Symptoms:
Bright red streaks on fins (caused by vascular inflammation due to systemic/bloodborne bacterial infection), patchy red discoloration around the body, pop-eye, protrusion of scales, distended abdomen, rapid breathing

Causes:
Gram negative motile rod bacteria. It is usually associated with poor water quality, stress and overpopulation. Transmission is done by contamination of water with diseased fish.

Treatment:
Broad spectrum antibiotics. Frequent water changes are necessary to improve water quality and allowing recovery of fish.

You sound like House... I swear I've heard that diagnoses!

lonlangione

Members
You don't say how long you have had this fish. If it is a new addition, it is probably a bacterial infection from shipping and handling especially of it is a open wound. If it is a fish you have had awhile, I would take the fish out of the tank and put it into a small tank like a 5 or 10 gallon and treat it. You definitely need to be at the next meeting to hear Eric's talk on corys. He covers this type of thing.

Lonny