• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I need an aquarium heater

Duane911

Members
Since my recent purchase of a 180 gal, it dawned on me that I need a heater for the beast. Not just any heater, but an afordable one.

MonteSS

Members
Please dont buy a cheapo heater. Not worth the risk. I have always had great success with Jager heaters.

...Bill

fischfan13

Banned
Duane, go with the Marineland Stealths.
Less expensive than the Jagers and MUCH better.
I tossed out all of my blue Jagers because IMO they were junk.
There have been a few discussions on ECC about heaters and almost all of these discussions go the same route...
Blue Jagers burn out too fast and Marinelands heaters are fantastic.

rich_one

Members
just be careful about one thing with the stealths, especially the pros... despite what this heater says about its auto shutoff feature, lately they have been dealing with a lot of returns (I am not sure if they did a recall or not) on some of them that have been exploding after being exposed to air, and then back in water, without being unplugged.

personally, I say unplug the thing anyway when doing maintenance, as a common sense best practice... but the Stealth professes it cuts off automatically when exposed to air, and that seems to not have worked so well lately... there is a thread on Simply about it... I can post it here or via PM if interested.

-Rich

F8LBITE

Members
Don't skimp out on the heater!!!!!!! I use "titanium" heaters with the remote thermostat on my big tanks w/o any problems.

bschuhart

Members
I used EboJagers(green ones) for over 3 decades with out replacing a single one, They lasted for decades! But now the "new" Jagers are not as good I have to replace them every few years because water seeps in the glass tube.

I have 2 titamum heaters with remote thermastats on my large tanks and have not had any problems with them 3 years running so far.

As far as Stealth Pros - I bought my first one about a year ago heres my record.
1. does not shut off out of water, I had a tank bottom crack and all the water leaked out when I was at work, the heater did not turn off and burnt up.

2. Had another just stop heating after working for 2 weeks.

3. Had another get cracks in it, with no apparent reason.

4. Old Stealth with red plastic knob - did a water change and forgot to unplug, burnt up - my fault, but Marineland replaced for FREE.

I can say that all those heaters were replaced for FREE by either the store I bought them from or from Marineland the company that makes them.

That's my 2 cents!

Davey_8313

Members
I agree w/ Rich. I have a 300w heater on my 150 that I paid less than $15 for from www.kensfish.com. It has worked fine for the past couple years and so have my friends that were ordered at the same time.

Cartel

Members
Im also using a titanium heater with a remote thermostat. I love it! It does a great job. Its in the sump of my 125 and with the heat of the pump the heater hardly ever comes on yet my water is always at 80.