• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I just set up my 55

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I finally got around to setting up my 55 gallon. I am currently running an AC110 and a Tidal 110. I have two hydor wavemakers in on opposite ends of the tanks. I have two heaters. I have an Inkbird ITC 308 temperature controller. My heaters are off. The tank is registering 84 degrees from Inkbird's probe. I also checked with a my cooking thermometer. It still read 84 degrees. The thermometer on the house says is 76 degree down stairs. Isn't 84 degree too high? Is there anything that I could do differently to bring down the temperature?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
What kind of lights are on the tank? I used to have a large fluorescent fixture on my 180 which i kept under a canopy on the tank. The fixture would keep the water heated to the upper 70s without the use of a heater. That is one possibility.

Also, you've got a lot of motors running on that tank that will all put off some residual heat to the water. It really isn't a lot of volume and seems like you've got an awful lot of water movement. You may try unplugging the wavemakers to see what that does to the temperature.

I'd agree that 84 with no heaters in a 76 degree house is high.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I have a light fixture with two T5 combining for 56 watts. Light might only be on for two hours total throughout the day. I am going to disconnect the wave makers and tidal. The tidal's design places the pump in the water column. I will see what that does. If it still remains high. I will do a water change and float some bottle of ice if need be. I just hope that I do not need a chiller.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
What kind of lights are on the tank? I used to have a large fluorescent fixture on my 180 which i kept under a canopy on the tank. The fixture would keep the water heated to the upper 70s without the use of a heater. That is one possibility.

Also, you've got a lot of motors running on that tank that will all put off some residual heat to the water. It really isn't a lot of volume and seems like you've got an awful lot of water movement. You may try unplugging the wavemakers to see what that does to the temperature.

I'd agree that 84 with no heaters in a 76 degree house is high.

I took the temperature this morning at around 7:45am and the tank is down to down 3 degrees to 81 degrees. Yesterday evening, I had to raise the water level in the tank so it would cover the pump on the Tidal filter. Could the water that I added along with the heater running for the past 48 hours have contributed to the higher temp? I plan to do water change today about 40%. I will check the temperature and monitor to see how low the temp drops and how much it increases and maintains throughout the day. By the way, I am keeping some Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Tsano Rock Swallowtail in the tank. These are some beautiful fish that I got from Dave (Cabinetmaker).