• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I have leucistic convict wrigglers

firemouth

Members
what should I do with them when they get larger? Are the pink variety of convicts in greater demand than the black and white ones?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Firemouth.
Convicts are sort of like the guppies of the Cichlid world.

They breed so much that there really is no demand for them.
They are great to watch and to experience the Parental care of a Cichlid but they have no value to most people because there are so many of them.

Don't be offended but as the last post states, most people use them as feeders because of that.

Sorry.

MonteSS

Members
Are there Leucistic cons?

I thought all the leucistic were HRP. Different from a pink con.

...Bill

toddnbecka

Members
Are there Leucistic cons?

I thought all the leucistic were HRP. Different from a pink con.

...Bill

Leucistic fish don't have any black pigment, but do show reds, albino's have no pigment at all.
There's a huge difference between HRP's and convicts, at least in disposition. I once had 3 young breeding pairs of HRP's in a 38 w/out any aggression issues among them. Only one pair was spawning, but no way would that work with convicts at all.
Aside from them being overabundant in the hobby, a spawning pair of convicts will probably produce more than 1000 fry before taking a break. Even if you have sufficient tankspace to grow them out, nobody wants that many of any particular fish (unless they're zebra pleco's...)

MonteSS

Members
Not sure what his look like but here is my female HRP Leucistic

Picture983-1.jpg

...Bill

sfdvlam

Members
Thanks Bill! ok, so I picked up a pair at the LFS and they look the same like the photo but the store told me that they are white convicts. I suppose that means the same thing as HRP Leucistic? Still new to cichlids so I am learning here, lol.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think there are questions whether or not they are the same fish. Up until a week or so ago, I had a breeding pair of what were sold to me as leucistic HRP's (the male went crazy and killed the female). They are very similar but my female did not have any of the orange on the belly that you typically see in pink cons.

MonteSS

Members
My female HRP Leucistic has no orange or any coloring on her belly.

Picture648.jpg

No such thing as white cons that I know of. Only pink.

I have seen standard HRP's/hybrids sold as "Electric Blue Convicts", so who knows.

Here is my pretty female "EBC"

Picture649.jpg

....Bill

Last edited:

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Thanks Bill! ok, so I picked up a pair at the LFS and they look the same like the photo but the store told me that they are white convicts. I suppose that means the same thing as HRP Leucistic? Still new to cichlids so I am learning here, lol.
I asked this question last year, the bottom line is, with out DNA testing no one really knows.
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5089

Here's one of my females showing pink in her belly and a lot of color in her fins, she's also developed a gold line part way down her body.
picture.php

picture.php

Her father
picture.php

toddnbecka

Members
Interesting indeed; I have a pair of "HRP's" that I'm wondering about too. The female is less than half the size of the male, and does show an orange belly. Anyone know whether these are HRP/convict hybrids?
P1040437.jpg

P1040435.jpg

P1040428.jpg

P1040421.jpg

P1040424.jpg

sfdvlam

Members
Hey, I am learning new stuff here and this is why I joined the club, :)
Great info.

*These convicts are great that they breed so fast I get a kick out of watching them. I just got the pair about a week ago on Tuesday and on Friday they had about 50-70 eggs? They hatched about two/three days ago and they should be free swimming soon. As a new hobbyist to the world of cichlids, it is a great experience. Now, I can say I went through the cycle of breeding convict, lol...Is this breeding cichlid for DUMMIES?..HAHA (just add fish and water, classic!)

Last edited:

toddnbecka

Members
I only have 6 L-134's, and I'm hoping they'll start breeding soon. I can check with the guy I got mine from (Sept of '09) and see if he has any available f/s now if you're really interested. He had a 75 stocked with nothing else, and probably close to 100 juvies then.