• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I Got a Red Devil

YSS

Members
Picked up a red devil from a friend who didn't want it anymore. He/she is about 4" and I have it in a 20GH at the moment. I have never kept this type of fish.

I know this fish will eventually need a much larger tank. In the meantime, I would like to provide a suitable environment. The tank is currently bare bottom with nothing in it. Would the fish be ok growing up in a tank like this?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A RD/Midas will quickly out grow a 20 high or risk being stunted. I've kept a few in the past, and my experience is that they are pretty typical CA's from a growth and temperament perspective until they reach 5"-6". Once they hit that size, and I assume they hit "fish puberty" around the same time, all bets are off from an aggression stand point.

I always tell myself that I want to go another round with these guys, as they really are beautiful fish and full of personality, but I just haven't come to dedicate a tank to them.

I'd look for a bigger tank soon, preferably in the 75G+ range. Can the a 4" fish exist in the 20, sure, but it won't be happy or healthy until it gets into a bigger tank.

YSS

Members
A RD/Midas will quickly out grow a 20 high or risk being stunted. I've kept a few in the past, and my experience is that they are pretty typical CA's from a growth and temperament perspective until they reach 5"-6". Once they hit that size, and I assume they hit "fish puberty" around the same time, all bets are off from an aggression stand point.

I always tell myself that I want to go another round with these guys, as they really are beautiful fish and full of personality, but I just haven't come to dedicate a tank to them.

I'd look for a bigger tank soon, preferably in the 75G+ range. Can the a 4" fish exist in the 20, sure, but it won't be happy or healthy until it gets into a bigger tank.

Thanks Jon. This fish may already be stunted as my friend looked like he wasn't feeding his fish enough food.

I am guessing other tank mates are out of question in the 20G.

Great fish but tends to be very evil at times. I would not worry much about trying to decorate the tank a lot beyond your typical gravel and possibly driftwood. As you see in my avatar Demon who I have had now for almost 10 years is real beast now. He has killed off many tank mates over the years including his breeding female that lasted about 3 years with him. He has typically been in a 125 gallon tank by hisself up until the 6-8 months. I have added a Dovii and couple of Jagss which bought can equal his level of aggression and everything has been ok so far.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't try tank makes in a 20H. Almost a certainty that they will be stressed if not killed immediately.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They're pretty tough fish - basically do lots of water changes and keep the temp above 72 or so and you're good to go...

A red devil will outgrow a 24" tank in no time, though.

Like a lot of big cichlids, they can be moody and hide a lot if getting adjusted to a new tank, especially if they're alone.

Matt

YSS

Members
They're pretty tough fish - basically do lots of water changes and keep the temp above 72 or so and you're good to go...

A red devil will outgrow a 24" tank in no time, though.

Like a lot of big cichlids, they can be moody and hide a lot if getting adjusted to a new tank, especially if they're alone.

Matt

Thanks, Matt. There is nothing in the tank so there is no place for the fish to hide. But the fish don't seem to be shy at all. No heater in the tank right now as I heard that these guys will easily break the heater. But I keep my house at 72 so we are good. :) I will put some substrate and a large deco eventually.