• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrids

So much crappy info out there on this subject. So I understand all peacocks will hybridize and most haps will but what about haps and peacocks are there any haps that won't hybridize with other haps or other peacocks. Is there any definitive chart on what species can be housed together without risk? Also what if say a 90g was split in half with one pair on each side would it be at all possible for them to hybridize even though they are separated? Setting up some tanks and don't want any risk of producing "aulonochromis"!!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I can't answer the question as to which species will not interbreed, but I would think that two species in a separated tank would be fine, especially with mouthbrooders.

Any two fish species with the same breeding strategy can hybridize. So ALL mouthbrooders can possibly hybridize with any other mouthbrooder.

Dividing a tank will probably reduce the likelihood but won't absolutely prevent it even with mouthbrooders. There are many instances of fish breeding through dividers particularly if it's a very aggressive species and the males and females need to be kept separated.

Andy

Any two fish species with the same breeding strategy can hybridize. So ALL mouthbrooders can possibly hybridize with any other mouthbrooder.

Andy

This is over generalization. Any two species that are closely related and decended from the same bloodline can cross breed. This applied to all Malawian mouthbrooders which are decended from a single haplochromine bloodline. Tanganyikan cichlids came from diversed bloodlines so cross breeding is only possible within closely related group, but not outside. So don't expect Tanganyikan mouthbrooders Tropheus and Frontosa to cross breed with each other, or with Malawian haps. For egg layers, all CA can cross breed with one another because they are decendent from a single bloodline, but not with SA. Tanganyikan and SA came from diverse bloodlines, so cross breeding is only possible wihtin closely related group.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The only way to be absolutely certain that hybridization won't occur is to keep species housed individually. That being said, you can generally house multiple breeding groups together, and if there are enough females of each species, hybridization risk is lower unless one of the males becomes hyper dominant. You're less likely to see hybridization between different types of fish (haps and peacocks) but it is still possible.

You are correct Andrew. I was over generalizing. I should have been more specific in that all Malawi mouthbrooders can hybridize which is what I meant.

liljman

Members
I have made that mistake. I have a yellow lab female that has makes treats(fry babies to eat) for my red devil and flowerhorn by successfully spawning with any zebra (metriaclima) that will look in her direction. As for the peacocks, it hasn't happened YET!!!