• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Howdy

Vethian

Members
My wife is wanting a new tank setup in "her space". :) She likes dwarf cichlids. However, I dont want to just add the tank to my weekly maintenance. I want her to learn to take care of the fish. I dont want to come home to an over stocked tank or something stupid like a piranha added to the tank (She isnt that dumb, just funny example) Is there a decent source I can direct her to? A book would be ideal for her, but an online care guide would be good.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
What kind of info are you trying to find in a book? Compatibility? Different fish types? There are a lot of resources out there, but most of the best ones I have seen are focused on Old World fish.

Vethian

Members
Im looking for a book to teach her proper maintenance and specific care of dwarf cichlids. maybe basic diagnostics for common issues. As I am typing this out, i think multiple books will be needed. :) Basically, I want her to be self reliant on dealing with her tank and pets. I can provide answers, but I need her to be my partner in this.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Good luck! I've seen it done but my wife only does maintenance when I desperately need help or when I'm not home. I only have three tanks, but she has been wanting a puffer tank for years. Maybe I'll try to get her interested once we have a house to ourselves again (living with the inlaws).

Don't mean to depress you. There are some good guides, but most of them are VERY general. If you can get past the want to overstock and get her attached to the fish in the tank, she will want to research on her own. Let her pick the fish and have her name them. :)