• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to move a 180 gallon tank

Eyeguy05

Members
All, looks like im picking up a complete 180 gallon setup this weekend and was wondering if anyone has any tips on moving that large of a tank with only 2 or 3 people. im looking at getting a handtruck and a couple moving blankets, luckily i dont have to manuvure any stairs at my house but not sure about the house im picking up from.

JLW

CCA Members
First, I wouldn't attempt to move an aquarium unless its empty. And, I mean literally empty -- don't leave any gravel, stone, wood, or anything else in it (a little bit of water can add a lot of weight but is undamaging). I've seen people try to move a tank with a rock in it, and one wrong move and ... crack.

Make sure the tank is well strapped in to any handtruck, and make sure that someone is keeping it on there. It sucks when you drop a box off a handtruck, it really sucks when that box is made out of glass.

When putting it into your truck, make sure that the bottom is down. Don't set it on a side -- especially if that side is going to become your front. Put something between it and anything else -- you don't want it to move a little bit on the drive over and scratch.

Suction cup handles are a godsend.

Try to carry it levelly. If the weight distribution is off, you can wind up twisting it, which can damage seams, or worse. Minimise the time its being carried, too. This isn't just smart for your back, but good for the tank. Furniture dollies can really help.

go to home depot or a uhaul dealer and get the low height furniture movers. They are under 20 bucks at home depot, get two. You will only have to lift the tank 6 inches to get them under and then you can push it any where you want.

milwaukee-dollies-33800-64_1000.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Good advise from Josh and Gary. I did not have a truck, but moved a 180 and a 250 on a boat trailer with plywood to make a flat surface, strapped down the tanks and drove 3 hours with it. The boat trailer was low compared to even a pick-up truck. That made it easy to load and unload. I might have been lucky to move it without a stone hitting it but it was mid summer. Oh, and you really might need 4 guys instead of three, it makes the job much easier.

Eyeguy05

Members
All, thanks for the great advice! i am going to harbor freight to get a hand truck, moving blankets and 2 low height furniture movers. i will be borrowing my sister in laws dodge journey which sits lower than a pick up truck and has plenty of room. luckily the tank is on the 1st floor of the sellers house and basement level in my house so no stairs!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I've done it with 3 people and someone ends up having to carry a disproportionate load (Thanks Jon Clark!) Its definitely not easy, but I've done it multiple times most including stairs in some form. Great advice above, I did the 'grin and bear it' method, I was very lucky to have helpful friends, but I think I exhausted several favors, and/or am indebted to several people. My new plan is sell the glass 180 before moving, and buy acrylic to set up at the new place.

Eyeguy05

Members
No stairs is a big, big help. But I'd still find one or two more folks for this!

unfortunatly i dont have any extra people to recruit. the seller said his sons can help and then when i get home its me and my wife..

anyone in the woodbridge area willing to help?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't know you or your wife, so maybe I'm wrong, but I really think you'll need more on that end of the move.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Shame it was smaller, but glad it worked out in your favor. Hope it was still a good deal. Big props to your wife for even moving a 125! My wife wouldn't have helped with that size.