• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How To Clean Black Worms?

Cristy

Members
You just rinse them with cold tap water every day (or at least every other day). I like to use the worm keepers to rinse the worms - they have a super-fine mesh to strain the worms so they don't go down the drain. Incidentally, most people think that you have to keep them in the refrigerator... not true. They keep just fine up to about 75/78 degrees so long as you keep rinsing them often. Do any stores sell blackworms frozen? I'm not aware of any.

Hi,
Thanks so much for the info.
I used a bb nets and it didn't
work well.

I think I might get a worm keeper.
Our fish love black worms.

Thanks again!!
Kelly

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You cannot freeze black worms. If you do you have nothing but a sloppy mess when you thaw them. I talked with someone who tried it.

George

P

pharoahsghst

they live longer if the are in aged water and kept in the refrigerator

G

Guest_joseff

I dont feed blackworms anymore but a while back I had success with them being kept in the fridge. Every once in a while they seem to want to crawl up on the sides of the containers. You can gently slide them back into the mosh pit.

One cool thing about black worms is that if any are able to escape the hungry fish, they can live for a long time in the tank. Almost about a year after I had stopped feeding blackworms, I saw some crawling in the gravel. I think they were able to survive due to the crap that was accumulating in the gravel (I never cleaned the gravel).

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
i have a drip system for them... just as long the water is clean they will be happy :) i do see some wholesaler let the faucet run 24/7 on them...

cyradis4

Members
Be very careful where you get blackworms from. Many places buy ones that have been raised in Salmon pools and the worms are full of sludge, bacteria, and parasites.

I order mine, about 2 lbs every other week, direct from California Blackworms. Its more expensive, but its worth it for the greatly reduced risk.

Later!
Amanda.

Spine

Members
I rinse my worms by pouring them into a 7-11 Super Big Gulp cup . I blast some cold water on them from the faucet a couple of times and then set the cup down on the counter for a minute or so. The worms should have settled down at the bottom of the cup after a minute or two and I slowly pour off the excess water until there is just enough water to cover the worms.

I agree with what Amanda said make sure you get worms from a good source like California Blackworms. CCA had someone speak about live foods. He suggested if you are keeping a permanent worm culture to cut them in half and this will help multiply your culture. He also said that making sure there is plenty of oxygen ( temperature isnt so important) in the water is the most important thing in keeping the worms alive.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Be very careful where you get blackworms from. Many places buy ones that have been raised in Salmon pools and the worms are full of sludge, bacteria, and parasites.

I order mine, about 2 lbs every other week, direct from California Blackworms. Its more expensive, but its worth it for the greatly reduced risk.

Later!
Amanda.[/b]

i get all my feeders from Scales.... so anything happen... i know where to look... LOL....

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I just stay away from Black Worms period.

To risky for my fish and their intestines.

LOL on the Scales statement by the way.