• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How Many to get Rid of?

NYfan78

Members
Ok as you can see in my signature i have 12 Yellow Labs(3") and 12 Yellow Tail Acei(1") in a 55 gallon tank. I have the chance to get some Demasoni. How many Labs and Acei would I have to get rid of to get some Demasonis? Then how many Demasonis should I get? Thanks for the help all!:D

Get rid of 6 of each and get 6 Demasoni. Statistically having 6 fish gives you a near 100% chance of having at least one male and female in the group. All the fish are about the same in aggression level (fairly mild as mbuna go). I maintain a 175 bowfront for the boss that has Yellow labs and Demasoni in it and they get along fine. Although over the years the Yellow labs have out reproduced the Demasoni like 10:1. Consequently the originally equal numbers are now like 30 Labs and 6 Demasoni.

F8LBITE

Members
In a 4 foot tank I would recommend you hold what you got, and get atleast 10 demasoni expecting to lose 2-3 to aggression. The other fish will dilute aggression until the dems get the dominance sorted out. In the meantime you will have to step up filtration or waterchanges or both. Eventually you will have to thin the others down again but by then you'll be so attatched that you will just get a bigger tank! Good luck.

fischfan13

Banned
In a 4 foot tank I would recommend you hold what you got, and get atleast 10 demasoni expecting to lose 2-3 to aggression. The other fish will dilute aggression until the dems get the dominance sorted out. In the meantime you will have to step up filtration or waterchanges or both. Eventually you will have to thin the others down again but by then you'll be so attatched that you will just get a bigger tank! Good luck.

+1

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres

+2 :D

marge618

CCA member
Originally Posted by NYfan78: Ok as you can see in my signature i have 12 Yellow Labs(3") and 12 Yellow Tail Acei(1") in a 55 gallon tank. I have the chance to get some Demasoni. How many Labs and Acei would I have to get rid of to get some Demasonis? Then how many Demasonis should I get? Thanks for the help all!:D

+3 :D

Last edited:

NYfan78

Members
I think I may sell a few Labs and a Few Acei as I dont have the funds for a new filter. If I do water changes every week with that be suffice?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think I may sell a few Labs and a Few Acei as I dont have the funds for a new filter. If I do water changes every week with that be suffice?

That would work. 2 AC70s on a 55 isn't bad; if you do weekly water changes, you should be fine for a while as the fish are still pretty small.

I would definitely upgrade filtration sooner than later and still do weekly water changes, even after the upgrade.

Good luck, Scott. :)

fischfan13

Banned

Ok, I am going to try to be as soft spoken as possible...
You are fine.
Add the fish.
You do not need anything else.
No more filtration.
Two AC 70's turns your water over more than 10x per hour in a 55g.

The people here are the best...for ONCE listen to their advice and stop going to CF and getting the advice that you have been getting there on your setup and on Malawi's.
Seriously, you are looking for advice but it seems that you never listen to the advice given from the people on this site.

Good luck.

iamzrad

Members
Ok, I am going to try to be as soft spoken as possible...
You are fine.
Add the fish.
You do not need anything else.
No more filtration.
Two AC 70's turns your water over more than 10x per hour in a 55g.

The people here are the best...for ONCE listen to their advice and stop going to CF and getting the advice that you have been getting there on your setup and on Malawi's.
Seriously, you are looking for advice but it seems that you never listen to the advice given from the people on this site.

Good luck.

+1.
You have to realize that you will lose fish no matter what due to aggression.

NYfan78

Members
Fishfan ouch lol. This site is the best along with the members and appreciate all the help i have received so far and days to come!!!! I just wish i could make it to more meetings but my woek has us woeki g most saturdays ugggg. Cant wait till i can make it to the next meeting!! Thanks again!