• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How many Congo Tetras?

How many Congo Tetras could I put in a 29 gallon blackwater tank:confused:. Present occupants are: 6 Pelvicachromis sp. ( i thing pulcher), a female bolivian ram, a skunk loach (which never comes out) and some odd number of guppy fry that generally stay near the top.

Thanks,
Jonathan

IMG_1362.jpg

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Congo tetras will probably get a little too big for a 29g tank. They prefer larger groups, and I'm not sure the tank could support the bioload. What about something smaller like flame or diamond tetras?

YSS

Members
Yup. 29G is not ideal for Congos. I kept shoal of 15 congos in my 265G and I loved them. They schooled really well they looked great!

verbal

CCA Members
other ideas are: Lemon tetra or serpae (kept both in this tank) or neon/cardinals

Neons/cardinals would look great, but I might be concerned about them being Krib snacks. Higher bodied ones like the Lemon tetra of Diamond tetras would probably be a safer bet.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Lemons and serpaes are good considerations. They don't get as large as congos or even columbian blues. I would also consider HY511 tetras and emperor tetras.

Sent from my DROIDX

i've decided to get serpae tetras, whats whats amount for the tank, im thing 8-12. I've had them before (in this tank actually) so i know their water needs.

photo.jpg

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I'd also consider getting rid of the loach. Loaches need to be in groups in order to feel comfortable. Skunk loaches get to be around 4 inches, a bit large for a 29, especially with all those kribs.

Blaise

that explains why i never see him, :lol:. I was planing on moving the loach and the kribs once i get my fishroom started, and replace them with cories or gudeons

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
CPDs like heavily planted tanks. In my limited experience, they don't school around like other danios. More of a "Here's my little spot, think I'll stay nearby."

My danio choprae, on the other hand, stick together and are very active. Plus, they look good, too. The orange stripe is a dark, ember color. Really stands out in muted lighting.

Here's a photo, from a CCA sponsor, who happens to have some in stock. (No, I'm not a paid spokesman.)

http://msjinkzd.com/freshwater/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/choprae2.jpg

Blaise