• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How long to quarantine?

verbal

CCA Members
I have my fish that I bought at the ACA in quarantine tanks.

How long should they stay in quarantine? I have 2 L-204 Flash plecos that I bought from Jeff Rapps and some african cichlids(Sunshine Peacocks, Zebra Obliquens and Copadichromis borleyi) from the BABES auction.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I like to keep fish in quarantine for a month or two... sometimes the quarantine tanks become their permanent ones :)

Cheers for quarantining... If you don't...you'll regret it!

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
I would treat them with Melfix and Pimafix for 2 weeks and then put them wherever you want. I would think that fish from Rapps would be clean.

verbal

CCA Members
You shouldn't trust fish from anybody, even Jeff...wild fish especially...

Matt

I agree that wild fish, even from reputable sources need longer quarantine.

The plecos were caught in Peru. They probably sat around while the fisherman got enough to take to the wholesaler, who then took them to the exporter. Then they made a trip to NJ. They probably were quarantined for a while and then brought down to DC where they hung out in a rental tank during ACA. Even with good care along the way there is a lot of chances for something to go wrong.