• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How Long Do You Quarantine?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Picked up some fish at the last meeting and have had them in quarantine since. I treated with copper just as a prophylactic. Every thing is looking healthy and I'm anxious to move them to a bigger tank.

How long do most of you quarantine fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
It also depends on the temperature. My fishroom is on the cool side, so I've had ich take its time manifesting....

Which is probably a good justification for having a heater in the t tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Minimum 2 weeks. The black cories I picked up at the November auction are still in QT. They came with some sort of fungal issue I can't get rid of, plus internal parasites, torn pectoral spines, and resulting bacterial issues. I have 2 of the original 6 and should just ice them, but I haven't the heart.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I no allot of people are going to cringe, but if the fish is captive bred and I buy it from somebody I know, i dont usually quarentine. I normally quarentine wild caught fish for 1-3 weeks depending on how well they are eating.

Becca

Members
I no allot of people are going to cringe, but if the fish is captive bred and I buy it from somebody I know, i dont usually quarentine. I normally quarentine wild caught fish for 1-3 weeks depending on how well they are eating.

Hey Dan, pretty sure those black cories were captive bred and sold by a club member... You never know what might be lurking. People don't even realize their fish are carrying something, but the stress of being bagged up and moved gives some disease just enough of an edge to take hold and next thing you know, all of your fish are sick.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If the fish is small enough to fit in my quarantine tank (divided 10 gallon), I quarantine for 3-4 weeks.

Termato

Board of Directors
4-6 weeks as most diseases don't show up until 2-3 weeks in. Also gives me time to de-worm and grow them in a little bit. It's usually not until the second week until they really start coloring up and I always like to give them more time to settle in after that. I have regretted many times introducing fish before 4 weeks. I've had a few cases where some of those fish I introduced early developed diseases and killed other fish or died themselves :(. I prefer to wait 4-6.

If I get it from someone I trust, I do 2-3 weeks. I never put them right in anymore because I've been burned too many times before.

I have 10, 20 and 40G QT tanks set up right now.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree - too many opportunities for issues, even from "trusted sources"... Quarantine also allows new fish to build up their strength and recover after the stress of a move (vs. the additional stress of having to fight their way into the pecking order in a new tank).

I always try to quarantine and when I don't I nearly always regret it!

Matt