• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How Do You Make Green Water?

Sonny Disposition

Make sure the light is bright. You could add some plant fertilizer. Don't forget to feed the daphnia.

Hi Bob,

The daphnia is still alive & kicking, hopefully it will stay that way! Never really played with it at all before.

I added the green water from you to a 10 gal with a light on it 24/7. I dropped in some dirty tank water & still need to add a fish -
there's an oddball tetra that I've been eyeballing for that job...... no heater on it, one sponge on. Anything else I need to do with it???[/b]

DeeCee

Members
I added some green water to the daphnia tank, that's what they eat, right? How often should I do that, & how much should I feed? Just a little bit? I have a florescent light on the green water tank, on 24/7. Hopefully that will work. Only other option would be to find a clip-light thingamajig & point it at the tank. What would you recommend?

DC

Sonny Disposition

It's hard to say just how much light it needs, only that it should be bright. A compact flourescent would be better than a conventional flourescent tube, and two flourescent tubes would be better than one. If the water starts to clear up, you'll know it's not bright enough.

The daphnia don't necessarily need green water. I just feed it to them because it's easiest (and pretty much free.)

You can dissolve about an eighth of a teaspoon of baker's yeast in two cups of water, over night, and then pour that it their container. A dilute solution of sweet potatoes in water will also work. (That's what Frank feeds, and that's why his daphnia are dark orange.)

The idea is to make the tank cloudy, so you have a little trouble seeing the other side. With green water, yeast, or sweet potatoes, the idea is to always keep the water a little cloudy. When it clears up, just add more.

I added some green water to the daphnia tank, that's what they eat, right? How often should I do that, & how much should I feed? Just a little bit? I have a florescent light on the green water tank, on 24/7. Hopefully that will work. Only other option would be to find a clip-light thingamajig & point it at the tank. What would you recommend?

DC[/b]