• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you keep your Fish alive during a power outage?

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Last week a tree fell on the power lines and we just got power back today. We live on a decent sized property and our lines go through a median area filled with trees. BGE could not get access to the lines for a while and it took longer then I ever expected to regain power. Luckily I did not lose any fish although it was a royal pain in the butt. I have battery powered air pumps which kept the tank oxygenated and I also have a fire place so I was able to heat water to keep the tanks warm. I also took some Styrofoam and placed it around the aquarium to help keep the water as warm as possible as long as possible. I did not do any huge water changes but water was moving a few times a day when I would take some old out and put new warmer water in to keep it in a decent range. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else can be done, or anything that would make this easier? Would a system like a Computer Battery Backup work for the heater/filter or would it not keep eveything running long enough to be worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - Jon

FishEggs

Easiest thing would be a backup generator. Would be expensive to buy and install at first but after that its cake.
UPSs are good for keeping air pumps going and some filters but heaters (depending on size) would drain the batteries faster.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Thank you very much for the information! I think a decent generator may be the safest/easiest way to go. I guess this is just one of those things that you generally do not put much thought into until something goes wrong. Thanks again!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have a generator but it has never come to that.

I also have a power inverter that I can hook to my vehicle battery and run a line into the house.
Not very big but enough to run my air.
I also have a kerosene heater that will make the basement toasty in an emergency.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I do take the generator out every spring and fall (did 2 weeks ago), I drain the fuel. Put fresh in it and start it up.
I let run for like 15 minutes and then turn fuel off. The old gas goes into my vehicle.

I do the same with the snow blower. Keeps me from having to repair them.
I usually have 20 gallons of fuel in my shed. I hope it does not catch fire like Cheryl's she shed.