• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HOW DID YOU LEARN ABOUT KEEPING FISH

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i had a goldfish as a kid but when i got older i used to love seeing all the different kinds of different fish with vivid colors. basically i read alot of information, researched different fish, and used the heck out of the internet to learn majority of what i know now. still trial and error played a key role too. sometimes more costly then others. i look at other members and other fish keepers and im always amazed at something that they have found or works better. i find that when you get a group of fish keepers together alot of info gets transferred fast just via word of mouth as well.

iamzrad

Members
I would say the people at my LFS helped a lot with the information. The internet also helped with unanswered questions I had.
I tried to "look" at fish books at the LFS, but I only paid attention to the pictures! lol

Better to have 1 on 1 advice than reading a silly book.

My dad taught me a bit and introduced me to African Cichlids. The LFS always led me astray. Mostly personal trial and error along with reading about the fish and fish keeping on the web.

Sonny Disposition

I'm still learning. Started out watching my dear old Dad take care of the 29 high, which he's had since before I was born. Read, or read through lots of books, way back in the day. Joined fish groups, e-mail forums, subscribed to magazines, checked the Internet, and talk to fish people. I still do all those things.

When I was about 13, my dad bought some oscars and a 55 gallon tank. He did not know much about fish keeping and his english was bad so no one helped him. Ever since then I have been into fish keeping. When I look back I laugh because my dad used to change the water out completely every week. He would take out the gravel and clean it. He would also clean the filters and rinse the cartridges untill they were spotless lol....... So then it clicked in my head that there had to be a better way. So then after a couple times that I had spoken with the LFS that sold the fish to my dad, I was able to gather enough information to take better care of the fish. It still amazes me how those poor oscars made it through all the hell my dad put them through for about the first 6 months.

mscichlid

Founder
Mostly by reading every book pretaining to the fish I preferred. The internet was not such a big help back in '97. Although, TheKrib and it's mailing list were the only places I would go regularly.

Jumbie

Members
I'm still learning. Started out watching my dear old Dad take care of the 29 high, which he's had since before I was born. Read, or read through lots of books, way back in the day. Joined fish groups, e-mail forums, subscribed to magazines, checked the Internet, and talk to fish people. I still do all those things.

I'm still learning as well! I have always had fish and other critters for as long as I could remember, so trial and error and reading played a key role way before the Internet. Whenever I get the chance I purchase books and magazines because no matter how much I think I know I keep learning more.

cmcpart0422

Members
My mom always had fish tanks so I followed her lead. From there it was the internet and lfs where I got all my info. Imo forums offer the most knowledge. Reading articles are cool and all but people with first hand experience is the best to me.

maddog10

Members
Most of my knowledge came the hard way and at the expense of some poor fish (this was all in my saltwater days). All the basic fish keeping stuff transfered over from saltwater to freshwater. When I started with cichlids, the guys at SCALES were very helpful. Fish were breeding in no time!

longstocking

Members
internet... forums. Still the best and "latest" info out there. The guys in europe know their stuff !!

Last edited:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
All my best friends in elementary school had goldfish, so I had to have some too.

Then we figured out that you can feed the goldfish to some very unique looking fish called the Oscar. For a boy the Oscar was the coolest thing ever! We're so destructive yet so creative, that's why the girls have us in a love hate relationship. That's for another day and another topic.:lol:

Therefore, we all had to have Oscars. You know boys will be boys. Then we found out about bee bee guns. I think that's how you spell it. Forgettabout it then!!!:D:D:D

Richard

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I started really learning about fishkeeping when I joined the African Cichlid Resource Forums back around 2000. That site is gone now, but it was a real wealth of knowledge. Not only did we have many American members but since it was a UK based site we had members from all over and there was a lot of knowledge and different ideas floating about constantly. Around the time the ACRF went offline I was preparing to move from Arkansas to West Virginia so i was out of the hobby for a while. When I finished building the house the first thing I wanted to do was get back into the hobby and to my surprise there were many great sites that had came about while I was gone. Back in the day, the ACRF and CF were the 2 "real" sites... my how CF has grown, I can only imagine what the ACRF could have been if it weren't for a corrupt founder. All of my real knowledge has come from the internet or the people I've met via the internet. I've gotten some great ideas from this site as well as much pleasure browsing the site. Props to the CCA and it's members and forum members. This site and sites like this one really make it easier for people just getting into the hobby as well as teaching us old dogs some new tricks.

Cartel

Members
I was little living in Los Angeles when my dad bought me a school of neon tetras. With him knowing little english it was hard to get info so i had to trial and error all myself. After that it was a snowball effect. He would always bring me home pets iv had all kinds of lizards turtles and birds while growing up. We would pick up injured critters and heal them up then release them back out it was awesome. At one point living in a Dallas suburb we had a flock of Mallard ducks! We kept them for 2 years while the lake they use to live at was getting expanded then took them back. By then they had bred like crazy..... Whoa off topic...

I actually havent had fish for awhile up until Jan now the snowball effect is happening all over again! I plan on buying my 3rd tank later this month. (thats almost a tank a month yikes)

rsretep

Members
the internet has been an excellent tool for me especially with plants and fertilizers however my fish keeping has been alot of trial and error (sorry to say) but like they say we all learn from our mistakes (well maybe not all) lol