• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Honduran red points on a rampage...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
...picked up a bag of albino babies at auction a few months back for $2, grew up fast and the pair I sequestered in a 5 gallon tank to keep things calm for the rest of their former tank's denizens laid eggs a couple days ago on a flat, fist-sized slab of agate. Since then they have committed themselves to savaging the Java moss in the tank. They act like its the 'enemy'.

Shall I take it out or leave it for them so they have something to defend their young against? Pretty energetic species, hard to see their young lasting more than 5 minutes after they hatch before being snarfed.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sam:

Glad to hear that the next generation is thriving. The juvies you got came from my pair before the male decided he was ready to spawn when the female was still guarding the last batch and he killed her. They were great parents and were pretty rough on anything else in the tank. I'd leave the moss in there with them. It will give the parents something to do and will be a good place for the babies to hide once they hatch. Good luck with them.

Jon

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Spawn with me or die?

Wow. And here was me thinking red necks were uncivilized. Not sure with that sort of disposition I'm really enamored of propagating this particular line, was going to offer the whole lot at the next meeting auction on account of their belligerence (Peace man), but now there's likely going to be babies. Cool. They are getting prettier and have faint red highlights on their dorsals, but definitely do not play well with others. Very very spunky.

In any case, pretty darn good show for a 5 gallon tank, especially since it was only supposed to be 'bi-solitary' confinement rather than an invitation to get it on.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I have a lone female in a 180 community. She's the smallest fish in the tank but will take on any one 3 times her size that comes near her stick. I'd like to get a male for her.

MonteSS

Members
LOL. I have the same situation as Danger. A single little female Leucistic in the 75g CA community that I got from Rapps over two years ago. She sits in her little cave and will go up against and fish to defend it. She is fearless. She flirted with the blue HRP but he never accepted her advances.

...Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You can have mine...

...I've 4 others I'll bring to the next meeting- with any luck you can each take home a male +1. Good enough?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
These are the leucistic HRP's. Same as you have Mike. Also, they have some for sale at Rick's in Frederick. Pretty sure they are from the same parents I got my originally from. One of the girls that works in the store has a breeding pair and supplies them.