• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Holy @$#? Petcos whole saltwater section infected with ick!

bbryan9455

Members
Just stopped by my local petco to pick up some food for my Oscars. Poor girl in there is freaking out. The entire saltwater section has ick; dead fish everywhere! Won't be long before the freshwater fish get it too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vinh2o

Members
Wow. I hate the fact that they dump all the African Cichlids in the tank and then sell them as "assorted". Sometimes they have nice Peacocks with decent prices but I just can't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thedavidzoo

Members
It kills me...all those thousands of fish that suffer and die in these big box pet stores...:angry3: It seems they are totally disposable, it is only a fish after all.

Vinh2o

Members
They pay pennies on the dollar in terms of wholesale cost for fish. They buy in such large volume they factor in for the large amount of fish that will never make it to the cash register to get purchased. The thing that bothers me most is when they don't even take the time to remove dead fish from the tank. When I see a half of fish with a decayed body, I know he must have been in there for a day or two.

My biggest concern is that they will bully breeders into providing more fish at a lower cost which will cause overall quality to go down in the trade. That makes me thankful for CCA and other similar clubs across the country that strive for high quality in their personal breeding projects.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbryan9455

Members
Yes fish are not cared for properly. It sucks to see nice fish with good potential go to waste. And true, small stores have trouble competing with big chain stores. They can afford to drop prices real low.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jt731

Members
From what I have read, Saltwater ick is a lot nastier and harder to deal with than freshwater. Frankly I'm had pressed not to find at least one tank in one of the petcos or petsmarts that doesn't have fish showing ich. And guppies with columnaris.

i used to work at a crematory that had a contract with all of the petco stores in dc/md/nova.
some of those stores would send a 50lb. bag of dead animals (which an overpowering fish odor) weekly.
in general, i prefer to avoid buying livestock at the big chain stores, not to say i never do, but it's not my first choice. i am guilty of buying feeders at petco regularly, however. and $1/gallon tanks.
a couple of interesting anecdotes of petco visits:
i bought my red-belly pacu at the burke location. he was in a corner tank all by himself, with no price or label. i asked the clerk how much the pacu was, and got a puzzled look. i pointed him out and the guy said "oh, we thought that was a silver dollar, but he was picking on the other silver dollars so we moved him."
another time, at the fairfax location, they had "red terrors". i know, doubtful they were real festae for $5. they were in a tank with some oscars, dempseys, etc. so i decided to get one, and the clerk gave me the usual spiel: how big is your tank? what kind of fish do you have? do you know this gets big? blah blah blah....then she asked me "which one is the red terror?":lol:
makes me glad there's the availability of private sales and still a handful of independently-owned shops around!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Ick happens with every retailer, especially this time of year with rapidly fluctuating temperatures. Seems like it could spread like wildfire through Big Box Central Systems.

The fish are largely coming from the same farms as LFS and many others get their fish. Shipping is inherently stressful on fish.

The real issue is lack of quarantine. Fish can come in with ick (or lots of other diseases) and be apparently healthy... and be coated with ick a day or two later. You know that Big Boxes (and, let's be honest, none of the LFS in our area) quarantine prior to selling (Would YOU be willing to pay more?). Which makes it that much more important for us to quarantine.

Matt