• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hold Mouth Brooding Females 'til They Get Big?

Sonny Disposition

It just occurred to me: is there any benefit to holding mouthbrooding females away from the males for awhile, until they get big?

I'm thinking if they start breeding right away, and breed often, they won't grow as large as they would if they had some time away from the males.

If you waited awhile, you might get bigger females, with bigger broods.

Bob

maddog10

Members
You should always separate a fish when it looks like it is severely underfed, which happens when a female is continually holding eggs/fry.

I do not think it is the breeding that stunts growth, it is the lack of nutrition. Which is a by product of over breeding.

longstocking

Members
A good concern ! This happens more in malawi fish than Tangs... but still a concern. I don't neccessarily keep them in a different tank. But sometimes if they spawn too young I will strip them of their eggs so they remain growing etc. Then I feed the eggs to some other fish.