• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

help

fweed

Members
my tank has been established for a long while now and I have this bad algae bllom in it. I changed the water several time and even changed and added more charcoal to it hoping it would clear it up, but nothing. My water has ben gren for 3 weeks but it does look like it is trying to clear up but just wont. PLease help if you can

Jumbie

Members
How long are the lights on? Have you changed your bulbs recently? Did you clean or chane the filter on the same day you did the water change. When was the last time you tested your water, if you did recently what were the values? I could help more if you could answer those questions. Qick fix: 50% water change, keep your lights off for a few days, reduce feeding, and when you turn your lights on again only have them on for 6-8 hrs at the most.

fweed

Members
no direct sun light light arent on that much any more i have get a new bulb for my uv maybe thats why it started. Thank you I hope i figure it out have not seen my fish in 3 weeks

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Water changes can cause additional blooms of algae or even bacteria (cloudy water). If it does, there is probably a good source of nutrients in either the substrate or in the fresh water you are adding. But it is probably not in the fresh water.
I would do a good cleaning of the gravel, using a Python. And if your water really is not the source of the nutrients, as it probably is not, although if it is phosphate, it might be, I would do at least a 90% water change and probably do it daily for a two or three days. (Phosphates also come in the food you feed.) One or two 90+% water changes should do the trick. But pay attention to the changes in temperature and pH. If the new water is not at the same temperature and pH, you might want to do a couple of 50% water changes first to get the pH in the tank so it is more like that of the fresh water. And if possible mix hot and cold water taps to get the temperature where it should be.
If that does not work, you might consider taking the tank down and starting over after cleaning the gravel and tank and filter. In other words a 100% water change with a deep cleaning of the rug (gravel) and filters. :)