• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help With Id

SF_Beast

Members
Got this one a a chain store when I set up the tank. I got a few real small guys to help cycle the tank, and didn't think this one would have made it as long as it has. It was maybe 3/4 of an inch when I got it. It has stayed black the entire time, and just started to color up with the blue in the last week or trwo. I'm not even sure where to start. Maybe some sort of Peacock? It could be a hybrid for all I know... Let me know what you all think...

Thanks for the help.

-Smitty

Cichlids19Mar08012.jpg

Definietly looks like S. Fryeri (Electric Blue). One of the most beautiful fish from Lake Malawi.

Here are a couple older photos of mine:

26aS.jpg

7eS.jpg

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Yea, I think you guys are right. I usually call them Blue Ahli's, but they are the same fish right?

Only reason I ask is because the first picture that Bobby shows is of a wider fish, where most Ahli's are more elongated or thin in length. It seems like the first pic is more of a Peacock like than a Hap. Please explain.

RM

Anyways, here is great picture that Bobby took at my home a few months ago. If you look closely, you can see my Electric blues Ahlis' in the 92gallon. They are a beautiful fish. (
2cBowFrnt111007.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Although the common name is sometimes Electric blue ahli, I think that actual S. ahli are really rare. It's kind of like Geophagus surinamensis...where the actual G. surinamensis is really rare, although lot's of fish that are other Geo. species are sold under the common name "Surinamensis".

Looks like a pure electric blue to me, although I'd bet that its possible for them to hybridize with peacocks (and certainly with other "haps" like moori, fusco, livingstoni, etc.)

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 19 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yea, I think you guys are right. I usually call them Blue Ahli's, but they are the same fish right?

Only reason I ask is because the first picture that Bobby shows is of a wider fish, where most Ahli's are more elongated or thin in length. It seems like the first pic is more of a Peacock like than a Hap. Please explain.

RM[/b]

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Nevermind, I just read an article on it and it clearly says the Electic blue is a better looking fish than an Ahli. I guess the Ahli's that I have are indeed rare, but they're not that ugly. I swear that my Ahli's look just like Bobby's pictures of an Electric blue. Weird. :wacko:

I think the LFS actually sold me Electric Blue Cichlid Sciaenochromis fryeri and mislabeled them to say Blue Ahli. That's what happened.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Most likely mis-labeled...which is a pet peeve of mine...except when it works in my favor (i.e. a rare fish is sold as a cheap one) :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 19 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nevermind, I just read an article on it and it clearly says the Electic blue is a better looking fish than an Ahli. I guess the Ahli's that I have are indeed rare, but they're not that ugly. I swear that my Ahli's look just like Bobby's pictures of an Electric blue. Weird. :wacko:

I think the LFS actually sold me Electric Blue Cichlid Sciaenochromis fryeri and mislabeled them to say Blue Ahli. That's what happened.[/b]

SF_Beast

Members
I started to think it may have been a S. fryeri, I guess the dark black threw me off while it was still a juvi.

Thanks for the help...