• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with feeding my conivict fry?

hotwingz

Members
So yesterday i learned im the proud papa of a whole mess of convict fry! now ive done swordtail fry but they would swim around and eat when i put food in the tank. But the cons stay in their little cave. How do get food to them!? Oh and their currently in a 29g bowfront with only mom and dad.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
First off, good thing you only have the parents in the tank without other fish. You have reduced a lot of stress on your part and on the Convicts part. As for feeding them, Convicts are egg layers (unlike swords). The babies are born with a yolk sac that they digest prior to becoming free-swimming. During this time, they will be in the cave and will not require you to feed them. In a day or two (maybe less), you will see a cloud of babies free swimming around their parents. At that time, you can begin feeding them.

hotwingz

Members
Well thats how i figured out they were there lol. They are already swimming around the parents. Its kinda funny to watch them suck the fry up and spit them out if they start swimming away! I knew they were egg layers and had yolk sacks to eat at first. But for how long, then how do i make sure they eat if they cant get to it.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Grind a small amount of flake food between your fingers. Place your fingers under the water surface and let the flake bits settle into the water column. The fry will find them. Don't do very much until you see that they are eating. If you have a turkey baster, crumble th flakes into a cup of water from the tank. Use the baster to suck this up and then squirt it into the tank towards the fry.

hotwingz

Members
Ahah! Good idea! I figured i could crush up some of the foods i already have. I just wasnt sure a good way to get it too them. Now will the parents allow them to swim around and get food. Or will they bring it to them. Im just trying to be the best prepared i can!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good advice from Andrew. I use crushed flake for my fry if I don't have golden pearls. Another trick I use is to grind up the flakes, put them in a cup of tank water, then pour the whole cup towards the fry. This will get food to them if you don't have a baster.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rsretep

Members
Great advice guys. I also use an eye dropper to dispense foods to my fry. Good luck with your fry

Hawkman2000

Members
Grind a small amount of flake food between your fingers. Don't do very much until you see that they are eating. If you have a turkey baster, crumble th flakes into a cup of water from the tank. Use the baster to suck this up and then squirt it into the tank towards the fry.

This is the exact same thing I have been doing. +1