• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with cure tank of Dropsy

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am losing about a fish a month to Dropsy and I can't figure out why. What can i due to cure the whole tank. I am starting to lose prized not sold locally fish. Would a UV steralize help. If it would does anybody have one I could borrow or rent for a time.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
It's a Marineland 56 column tank that houses
11 Panda Cories
1 BN Pleco
3 Java loaches
3 Khuli Loaches

6 Black Neon Tetra
8 Pristella Tetras

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The tank is a Marineland 56 gallon column that is planted with Jungal Vals, Anubi, camboba and crypts. It is heated with a 300w Theo and filter with a Magnum 350 filled with Seachem Matrix. The tank is about a yera old. It is stocked with the follwoing:

1 m/f pair of Apistogramma Steindichneri
1 m/f pair of Badis Badis (female currently has Dropsy)
5 Jewel Cichlids (all still less that a 1/4" in size)
11 Panda Cories
1 BN Pleco
3 Khuli Loaches
3 Java Loaches
8 Pristella Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
4-5 Dianos

I have lost to Dropsy the following in no order:
1 Black Varitus
1 1/2 Badis Badis (The first really sucked as I really enjoy these fish. my last female is has dopsy now.)
1 P. Taenaitus Nigeria Red (that really sucked)
2 Mickey Mouse Platys
several Endler males that were hold overs from my 20g Long

The Live Bears all got it first followed by the Badis and the P. Taenaitus.

Hope this helps. I don't want to tear the tank down and bleach the gravel. to cure this.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Dropsy is not very contagious; however, Fish usually die from this, but in some cases where the problem is due to bacteria, if detected early enough, it can be treated. It's possibly the hardest internal bacterial infection to cure. There are a number of medications available such as penicillin, tetracycline and naladixic acid. The fish usually doesn't make it. By the time the scales begin to raise, however, it is very fatal to the fish. Salt baths can help to draw the fluid out of the fish. A variety of medications can be purchased that treat dropsy, which sometimes occurs due to an internal bacterial problem. Medications for external bacterial problems only will not be effective for this problem.
Dropsy PreventionPoor water conditions are often the culprit. Gouramies, Cyprinids (barbs, danios, etc), guppies, betta and goldfish are prone to this disease. Goldfish are said to be somewhat more prone to dropsy than other fish. High nitrates are usually the culprit. Clean Water, is a must! Clean Water, should I say that again? Good water conditions prevent this.

Lively

Members
I read Epsom salts instead of normal aquatic salt when I was looking up what dropsey is.

Here is the exerpt from the link I found:
The earlier it is caught the more likely treatment will be helpful. It is best to up the water temp to about 82-86 degrees and use epsom salts (1/8 teaspoon of epsom salts per 5 gallons) instead of aquarium salts because they will help the fish to lose some of the fluid that has built up. (It is common to think that salts would help, but in reality the fish is bloating and having a hard time ridding its body of fluid; whereas the epsom salts will "draw out toxins"). It is also wise to increase aeration since the temps will be higher. Water quality is very important at this time. This will have to be tried for about 2 weeks. Now if you think the fish is suffering from parasites you will need to treat for them first.

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ailment1.htm#dropsy

And, about the UV sterilizer - if your cause is bacterial it will not take care of all of it - they don't kill all bacteria otherwise you'd toast the good bacteria you need in the tank.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I read Epsom salts instead of normal aquatic salt when I was looking up what dropsey is.

Here is the exerpt from the link I found:
The earlier it is caught the more likely treatment will be helpful. It is best to up the water temp to about 82-86 degrees and use epsom salts (1/8 teaspoon of epsom salts per 5 gallons) instead of aquarium salts because they will help the fish to lose some of the fluid that has built up. (It is common to think that salts would help, but in reality the fish is bloating and having a hard time ridding its body of fluid; whereas the epsom salts will "draw out toxins"). It is also wise to increase aeration since the temps will be higher. Water quality is very important at this time. This will have to be tried for about 2 weeks. Now if you think the fish is suffering from parasites you will need to treat for them first.

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ailment1.htm#dropsy

And, about the UV sterilizer - if your cause is bacterial it will not take care of all of it - they don't kill all bacteria otherwise you'd toast the good bacteria you need in the tank.

Thanks I'll give this a try. None of the medications I have tried seemed to work.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I usuualy find the fish have it right after water changes. i thought it may be related to feedings soon after water changes that effect the fishes disgestive functions similar to low temps and Leopard Gecko digestion.

Lively

Members
Prince -

I'm slightly obsessed with Electric Blue Dempsey's - they have a habit of dying for no apparent reason. This is from a post on my favorite Dempsey site - the guy who posted is a retired fisheries biologist and suggested this:

There are a number of proprietary medications you can use, I like some I have from fish farming, they do a shotgun approach on parasites and bacteria, they are:

Metronidazole, a bactericide , and Praziquantel, along with Prantel for worms.

You can find some of these in larger LFSs, or google Foster & Smith or Thomas Laboratories.

Link to the site: http://dempsey.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=9910&highlight=#9910

Jumbie

Members
I would put all the fish in another tank and do a 50-60% water change on the display tank. If the fish still look to be swollen add (1.5tsp/10g) of Epsom salt this will help draw out some of that excess water. Dropsy is sometimes caused by a bacterial infection so you could try to treat the tank with Maracyn Two. Once the fish have no more showing symptoms you could put them back into the display tank, and as long as you keep up with the water changes the fish should do well.

Here is a link hope this helps...
http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/dropsy.html

BevN

Members
I've actually been successful at treating dropsy in apistos. Even when they look like pinecones this has worked for me.

I feed the dahpnia and add an antibacterial liquid I got from Jehmco. It's for ponds but I cut the dosage down. I've used that and AP nti-bacterial liquid I got from That Fish Place.

The elizabethae female that had it has since spawned. I've had problems with apistos from Europe so had plenty of chances to find a way to treat them.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Thanks again for all the help. One of the Jewel Cichlid fry I got from Uncle Ruckus had other ideas about me saving the Badis Badis. Thats is one mean bugger. It not even a 1/2" long yet and already mean. It even nibbled my hand when I stuck it in the tank.

Lively

Members
Thanks again for all the help. One of the Jewel Cichlid fry I got from Uncle Ruckus had other ideas about me saving the Badis Badis. Thats is one mean bugger. It not even a 1/2" long yet and already mean. It even nibbled my hand when I stuck it in the tank.

Maybe I'm just warped - but I love hearing about how mean a cichlid is - I figure if we wanted "nice" fish we wouldn't keep cichlids!

That said, sorry to hear his tankmate did him in :(

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Maybe I'm just warped - but I love hearing about how mean a cichlid is - I figure if we wanted "nice" fish we wouldn't keep cichlids!

That said, sorry to hear his tankmate did him in :(
YEP THATS WHY I LOVE THE AGGRESSIVE AND THE MONSTERS :wub:.
Prince im sorry i told them not to bite the hand thats feeds them let alone a officer of the law. lock him up ! rotflmao! i hope that your fish are doing better. ;)

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I don't mind fish with attitude, I started out with three Dwarf Puffers, who were three stone cold killers for their size. The amazing part about the Jewels is the size ratio. The Badis Badis female was at least twice the size of the Jewel. But in it's weakened state the Jewel tore it up.

Lively

Members
I think what amazes me most about cichlids is they do form strong bonds, many are monogamous and I've seen my mated pair show what I can only describe as affection towards one another - but woe to anything - and I mean anything - that might be considered a threat or food!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I don't mind fish with attitude, I started out with three Dwarf Puffers, who were three stone cold killers for their size. The amazing part about the Jewels is the size ratio. The Badis Badis female was at least twice the size of the Jewel. But in it's weakened state the Jewel tore it up.
1/2" red jewel has been charged with a vicious assault and a aggrevated "swim by". bail has not been set. :p
at least you know he is a survivor and a possible alpha male contender.:eek:.