• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HELP! Stupid snails.

iamzrad

Members
I have no idea how these guys ended up in my tank, I haven't introduced a new fish in over a year, but some how, there are hundreds of them beneath the sand bed.
Any idea how to get rid of them?
Ultimately, I think the last resort is to dump the old sand and replace it.

bzldz.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like Malaysian Trumpet Snails. An assassin snail or two might do it, but otherwise a complete substrate change would be needed.

iamzrad

Members
Thanks guys.
I should mention that this is my lake tang tank. I have tropheus, gobies and petro's.

fischfan13

Banned
Phil I would say Assassin Snails, but then I am not sure if the Petro's (Trews, correct?) would make a snack out of them.
I guess the person to ask on that would be Sarah.

If you want to try some Clown Loaches then I have two that are about 3" and acclimated to hard water that you can have...if we are ever close to each other.

JasonC

Members
Why would you want to get rid of them? They stir the sand bed and keep it from going anaerobic... plus consuming waste/leftover food that the fish leave behind. Never understood the aversion to snails... okay... pond snails, I can understand... but ramshorns and MTS? they are nice looking and benificial... what else do you need? ;P

oh... and if you end up scooping them instead of going the assassin/loach route, would be happy to take a handful off your hands. :)

Charlutz

Members
Hey Phil -

I agree, they are unsightly. I tried most of those methods to get rid of them from one of my tanks. Clown loaches will not wipe them out. They'll eat a bunch of them, but won't get all of them and you'll just wind up with a bunch of empty snail shells in the tank and more live snails in the media and under the sand bed. MTS are livebearers. The young ones are tiny. You'll find them in your filter media when you rinse it out. I don't know if assassin snails will be effective, but you could ask around and see. I do know a substrate swap will not get rid of them either. The tiny ones are in your filter media, plants, rocks, etc. I got rid of them by dumping a cup of clorox in the tank and then starting over with new media. I'm afraid you'll either need to learn to live with them or remove the fish and nuke the tank. Sorry.

rsretep

Members
I have quite a few tanks with these snails that have come from my substrate, no problem for my fish or me...

fischfan13

Banned
I did the Assassin Snails in my ABN breeding/fry tank...wiped them out.
I dislike MTS, think they are ugly and believe that my python does a great job aerating my sand beds.
When you have a nice showtank the last thing you want are a bunch of ugly snails speckled throughout the tank.

I also dont see the problem with certain snails unless its a planted tank and they are consuming your plants or they are just in plague proportions. If you really want to rid them and its a fish only tank why not a dose of copper? It wont upset the bio too much and you can throw in carbon to remove it afterwards relatively quickly. You could even regularly use low doses to just keep them in check. Just make sure to keep an eye on ammonia and nitrates as they die and break down if there's a ton of em.

Sure bleach would work, but you said you haven't added anything in over a year. So what if you bleach the tank and go thru that whole ordeal of starting over and you unknowingly re-introduce them again? Not worth the risk of loosing fish or the hassle involved imo.

JasonC

Members
The copper dosing idea sparked an idea... Dose the tank with flubendazole. Safe for your bio filter, but will wipe snails very efficiently. May take a few doses to get up to the needed strength...

That and it will take care of any hidden nasties your fish may be carrying.

Poor little buggers :blush:

fischfan13

Banned
Phil has some uber-expensive Tangs in there...Petro's, Tropheus and Gobies.
Meds of any sort, including bleaching the tank, should not even be a choice.

iamzrad

Members
Why would you want to get rid of them? They stir the sand bed and keep it from going anaerobic... plus consuming waste/leftover food that the fish leave behind. Never understood the aversion to snails... okay... pond snails, I can understand... but ramshorns and MTS? they are nice looking and benificial... what else do you need? ;P

oh... and if you end up scooping them instead of going the assassin/loach route, would be happy to take a handful off your hands. :)
Because they are an eyesore :rolleyes:
I usually just toss them or crush them on site. I have noticed that some of my gobies mistake them for food and I don't want one swallowing a snail and possible damaging the fish.

Hey Phil -

I agree, they are unsightly. I tried most of those methods to get rid of them from one of my tanks. Clown loaches will not wipe them out. They'll eat a bunch of them, but won't get all of them and you'll just wind up with a bunch of empty snail shells in the tank and more live snails in the media and under the sand bed. MTS are livebearers. The young ones are tiny. You'll find them in your filter media when you rinse it out. I don't know if assassin snails will be effective, but you could ask around and see. I do know a substrate swap will not get rid of them either. The tiny ones are in your filter media, plants, rocks, etc. I got rid of them by dumping a cup of clorox in the tank and then starting over with new media. I'm afraid you'll either need to learn to live with them or remove the fish and nuke the tank. Sorry.

Thanks, Charlie. I rather not add any extra fish, but if loaches will get rid of them, might as well. I am just afraid of what the others will do to the loaches and vice versa. The tank is somewhat peaceful, aside from the dominate male trophs and gobies.

I did clean some filters yesterday and noticed some in the media, but not many.

When you have a nice showtank the last thing you want are a bunch of ugly snails speckled throughout the tank.
Exactly.

I also dont see the problem with certain snails unless its a planted tank and they are consuming your plants or they are just in plague proportions. If you really want to rid them and its a fish only tank why not a dose of copper? It wont upset the bio too much and you can throw in carbon to remove it afterwards relatively quickly. You could even regularly use low doses to just keep them in check. Just make sure to keep an eye on ammonia and nitrates as they die and break down if there's a ton of em.

Sure bleach would work, but you said you haven't added anything in over a year. So what if you bleach the tank and go thru that whole ordeal of starting over and you unknowingly re-introduce them again? Not worth the risk of loosing fish or the hassle involved imo.

I see them as a plague! Granted, you can spot the larger ones in the sand, but most stay underneath, except before and after the lights go on and off and when some food get left behind. I see how this would be beneficial, but I simply don't want them in my tank.

Phil has some uber-expensive Tangs in there...Petro's, Tropheus and Gobies.
Meds of any sort, including bleaching the tank, should not even be a choice.
Yep. Def don't want to risk that. But I might add that when I fully clean the HOBs once every month/two months, I remove all content and media and I add a drop of disinfectant iodine in the filter and wash them with hot water and rinse in cold water. Been doing this for years and so far, never had a problem with any of my tanks.

Botia striata. It may take a while, but they will get rid of them.
Zebra loaches you say... hmmm.

Instead of bleaching everything, would hot water and perhaps vinegar be a better solution?

The tank inhabitants are pretty tough and solid, but I am not sure how they would react to a complete media flush and change. :(

The mystery still remains as how these snails got in my tank to begin with.........

mscichlid

Founder
If you are determined and don't want to nuke or destroy your tank, use a green veggie in a net or tied to fishing line and pull them out whenever you get a cluster of snails. Whenever you have a little time, just keep scooping them off the glass with a net. Slide the net up the glass to catch a few. They will drop in the net and then toss them in the trash or whatever. Resist the urge to go after one if you miss it with a bunch of snails in the net!

Only crush the tiny ones.

Charlutz

Members
In case it wasn't evident, when I suggested bleaching the tank, I meant to remove the fish first. :) You'd need to have another filter seeded and ready to go once you replaced the sand and decor. Certainly it's a desperate move, but I was at my end of trying loaches, removing them manually, decreasing feeding, etc. None of that other stuff worked for me. Clorox did.

fischfan13

Banned
In case it wasn't evident, when I suggested bleaching the tank, I meant to remove the fish first. :) You'd need to have another filter seeded and ready to go once you replaced the sand and decor. Certainly it's a desperate move, but I was at my end of trying loaches, removing them manually, decreasing feeding, etc. None of that other stuff worked for me. Clorox did.

...and of course when Charlie is mentioning Clorox he is not talking about the Clorox that he just used to whiten his socks.
Fresh Clorox, right Chas?:D