• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help me with photography, I suck

olzkool

Members
Ok so I finally got my new 125 up. Everyone asked for pics of the tank and stock when I was done. I got out the wife's camera and took some pics. They suck. Outside of just clicking an iPhone camera, I have no idea what I'm doing. The fish are either fuzzy or the light in the pic is wrong, I need some help. She has a cannon powershot sx40 hd. It has alot of knobs and menus all of which are Chinese to me. Any idea how to set it up for fish pics? Shutter speed?(like I know what that is lol) flash?, at night or in the day? There is a knob on the top with: c2, c1, m, av,TV, p, auto, scan, a little guy running? I have a t5 with actinic and 10k, should that be on? Maybe I should just take a vid that may be easier, no dials and menus to fool with.
Thanks
Chris

verbal

CCA Members
One thing that can help make things simpler is putting a lot of light on the tank, so that the flash isn't necessary.

If the fish are moving a lot it can be easier to get a video than to get a decent shot with a point and shoot.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
One thing that can help make things simpler is putting a lot of light on the tank, so that the flash isn't necessary.

If the fish are moving a lot it can be easier to get a video than to get a decent shot with a point and shoot.

Yeah no flash
Also I think your camera has a sports setting that might wrk.
I think eliminating noise. Fancy cameras don't like noise.(vibration etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Adding light can help, but will often wash out the colours on the fish if you do it too much.

Use a tripod if possible, make sure to white balance the shot (use white paper through the tank), and be patient. Sometimes, you take 1,000 pics and only 2 are decent. :)

zenins

Members
The fish are either fuzzy or the light in the pic is wrong, I need some help. She has a cannon powershot sx40 hd. It has alot of knobs and menus all of which are Chinese to me. Any idea how to set it up for fish pics? Shutter speed?(like I know what that is lol) flash?, at night or in the day? There is a knob on the top with: c2, c1, m, av,TV, p, auto, scan, a little guy running?

The Powershot SX40 should give you some pretty good results.
There has to be enough light on the aquarium for the auto-focus to work,
otherwise you will have to focus manually.
Bring some lighting from another aquarium and place it on top of the tank you are photographing.
If you have it on automatic exposure, chances are that the results will not be the best.
Darken the room.
Go with manual settings.
The Tv setting is for the shutter speed, try around 1/125 of a second, the camera will choose the aperture ( how much light gets let in )
If it chooses something like f2 or f4, then you need more light on the tank,
otherwise parts of the fish or the tank will not be in focus.
You can also try setting the aperture with the Av setting to about f8 or f11 to get more in focus, but the camera will then choose a slower shutter speed and you might bet a blurred fish.
After a lot of photos, you might get brave and go all manual with the M setting where you choose the shutter speed and aperture.
Lots of experimentation is required.
Using the flash on the camera should be okay, it should adjust the amount of light the flash produces, to get a good result based on your aperture and shutter setting.
Try taking your photo at a slight angle to the the left or right of your subject to avoid a flash flare on the glass.
Sometimes a slight downward angle helps as well.

As mentioned in another post you may take hundreds of photos and keep only 5 when you begin to take aquarium and/or fish photos.
It does get better as you understand the lighting requirements and can better predict the settings to get a good result :)

daninmd

Members
i usually shoot full manual on a tank.

typical settings:

1/50-ish shutter speed, not exactly sure on number but around there.
f/4 aperature
flash w/ diffuser
ISO 200

this is based on a DSLR setup, not sure about your camera. if its a point and shoot i would forgo the flash (not enough power) and setup extra lighting. for the lighting i would add an extra light strip along the very front of the tank on top, along with one outside the tank (probably 2 feet in front of tank, near the same height as the tank - pointing down at tank at 45 degrees or so). then take some test pictures to make sure you aren't getting a reflection from the lights and the shot is exposed correctly. if a little too dark, increase the ISO.

a couple more tips for better pictures - make sure you clean the glass really really good, inside and out. also, turn off all your filters, pumps, etc before you start taking pictures. moving water makes it tougher to get clear pictures.

olzkool

Members
Thanks for all the advice. Every bit of it helps especially the sx40 specific stuff. I went from being aggravated to actually enjoying it. I have taken what feels to be a million pics. I am not really happy with any of them, but I am not going to quit on this photog stuff. The reason for the delay in posting anything is I decided I just need more light on the tank. I picked up a fixture from a member here and have some bulbs on order. As soon as they get here I will post some stuff.