• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help me ID genders and pairs? Or just oggle some pics

Jeff721

Members
I have never been good at sexing fish that aren't truly sexually dimorphic. Can anyone lend a hand/eye?

I hope to figure out who is pairing up in my New World tank and decide on the future of these fish.

Salvinis:
Fish 1 - Larger, more colorful.

Salvini-1-1_zps4d0fdd73.jpg

Salvini-1-JD-1_zpsee036973.jpg

Fish 2 - Smaller of the two, considerably so. Less color.

Salvini-2-2_zps86c9aafc.jpg

Salvini-2-1_zps3dfc3098.jpg

Jack Dempsey's:
Fish 1 - Larger and lighter typically - both change colors often.

JD-1-1_zps914ecad1.jpg

JD-1-2_zps4b331991.jpg

Fishes 1 and 2 - shows the size difference a little. #2 displays very dark usually. More shy as well.

JDs-2_zps64942417.jpg

JDs_zpsd01a8e3f.jpg

Green Terrors:
Fish 1 - Displays lighter colors and runs the whole tank right now.

GT-1-2_zps75acc315.jpg

GT-1-3_zpsbf603b91.jpg

Fish 2 - still very colorful, but shy and darker "base" color than fish 1. Getting chased a lot lately.

GT-2-1_zpsf6d75113.jpg

Any guesses? Thanks.

Thai

Members
1st salvini seems like a male, 2nd could also be a male, still very small, jags looks like you have a male and female, 1st gt male second could be male but I'm leaning towards female based on lack of orange

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Jeff -

Salvinis and JD are dimorphic, it just takes some time for the differences to come out. With salvinis, the females will have a black blotch on the dorsal fin and males will not. Looks from the pics that fish 1 is a male and fish 2 is a female. In JD's, males will have more blue in the body than females. Also, females will have an abundance of blue on the gill plate while males do not. Looks like fish 1 is a definite male. Fish 2 is hard to tell, but may be a female.

GT's, in my experience, are tougher to sex when they are smaller. Both of yours are pretty colorful and have the beginning of a nuchal hump, so I would guess male on both of them, but that is only a guess.

Jeff721

Members
Thanks for the info guys.
I am planning to move the salvinis into their own tank if they are in fact a pair, I have been warned. Will the Jacks become murderers as well if they pair up?

As for the GT's, is the second male going to get bullied if he stays with the first?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Depends on the fish and the tank size. If I remember correctly, these are all in a 40 Breeder. That's pretty tight for a breeding pair of JD's, but you still have some time before they are breeding size.

I had a group of GT's that I was growing out and the alpha male became very aggressive with everything in the tank, especially the smaller males. I had to separate them so that they wouldn't kill eachother. I've heard stories from others that their GT's were quite tolerant of others, so only time will tell.