• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello, getting back into the hobby

After 20 years I am finally back with a 120gallon tank. My first tank was 450 liter (I lived in Germany at that time)
Now i am back. Since my wife doesn’t go along with Discus, I was thinking of Geaphagus. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking a group of 6 ?
Also I went a little overboard and bought one 30gallon, one 40 gallon, two 20 reg and two 20 gallon long all used for $100.
Couldn’t resist. Starting my own little fish room. Maybe use a 20 long for some shell dwellers?

chriscoli

Administrator
welcome back to the hobby! I wouldn't say that the additional tanks are "overboard"....I'd say you are normal and fit in well with the group!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum!

With respect to your question on the geos, which species are you thinking? I tend to buy juveniles in larger groups (6 to 8) and let them pair off by themselves. Depending on the species you get, and their ultimate adult size, you may want to start out with more. For instance, I've had better luck with the red head Tapajos in larger groups and stiendachnari need to be kept in harems (1 male to 4-5 females) in order to manage aggression of the male during spawning.

stany

CCA Members
Welcome to CCA. I have two tanks and with this group I am like the red headed stepchild. A plethora of information is available from the folks here.