• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Have you registered yet

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I almost put this in the members section but figured
it was best to be here.

I have been saying for years on here that you always book early. There are numerous reasons.
Foremost is that the meeting spaces are always paid for by room nights. If the host club does not get enough room nights booked then it will lose lots of money because you are paying out the nose for the meeting rooms.

The second thing that I tried to stress on here is that a club has to put out lots of money to put an event on.
When I know I am going to a convention, I always register well in advance. There are several reasons but the one that stands out is that the club needs that money.
Depending on a contract, a club first puts out the money to hold the hotel. That is usually thousands of dollars. I have seen some contracts in the past that require a second payment of thousands of dollars at about 60 days out. Now if everyone waits till the last minute to decide to go.... First how many clubs have the money to, say, put money down money like that two times before the event. Then there are the other expenses like, wood, tanks, filters, badges, tshirts, air line, valves, registration supplies, etc.
Then even if a club has enough money to buy all that, they look 60 days out and see no room nights? You begin to wonder. lol Who will pay for this stuff. lol

I know I sound like I am preaching but that is why you nol onger go for a hotel with 500 room. you want to fill the hotel.

This is what drove me nuts during Aquafest. I think like 70% of the registrations came in the last week or at the door. Thats great but even with the 3 clubs putting in $1000.00 each for that small event, we almost did not have enough to guarantee the hotel until a week before.
A month out there were discussions of canceling the event. Yet it turned out great. Seemed like everyone had fun and we made money.

So after all that preaching, If you are going to Milwaukee in July. Register now. Get your room now. Again its a small hotel as far as rooms and the over flow is miles away from what I hear.
Last I heard it was around 50% booked but it starts to go quick now.

Okay back to water changes.
lol

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Got the hotel room. About to register. I know that the Saturday night event is generally big. Are you guys planning on doing the brat thing on Friday as well?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I signed up for the brat thing. It seemed pricy but what the he--. Get the women and children off the streets Milwaukee - I just registered and booked my hotel. Yes, they still had rooms left but she told me (Audrey sounded cute too) that they only had two-queen-bed rooms left so they are already running short for all you procrastinators. I told her I was straight but if the queens didn't mind, I'll try anything once.

LET'S PARTY!!!!!!

George

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I signed up for the brat thing. It seemed pricy but what the he--. Get the women and children off the streets Milwaukee - I just registered and booked my hotel. Yes, they still had rooms left but she told me (Audrey sounded cute too) that they only had two-queen-bed rooms left so they are already running short for all you procrastinators. I told her I was straight but if the queens didn't mind, I'll try anything once.

LET'S PARTY!!!!!!

George

LMAO George... You are too much, sir. :pound:

fischfan13

Banned
Out of 225 rooms that were blocked off there are 100 available...this, as per Jennifer from the Olympia Resort and Spa at 2:30pm Friday afternoon.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yeah, Like I mentioned not a lot of rooms left when you figure most people wait until May or June thinking they have plenty of time. lol
I know I keep stressing it but there are people that wait. One of our members almost did not have a room last year.

dogofwar

CCA Members
As a note for our bid, we should think about providing some incentives for registering early...

Matt

mrkillie

Members
As a note for our bid, we should think about providing some incentives for registering early...

Matt

The AKA has a "Fish Sale Room" with fish that are for sale by attendees. Entry order is determined by registration number. The earlier you register, the better the pickin's! I don't know if the ACA has something similar.

Joel

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great idea!

How about a raffle (for a free set-up or something) that's only open to the first 200 who register AND book at the conference hotel?

Matt

The AKA has a "Fish Sale Room" with fish that are for sale by attendees. Entry order is determined by registration number. The earlier you register, the better the pickin's! I don't know if the ACA has something similar.

Joel

George

Joel
Been there and it is not worth the effort. The fish sale room stinks. the auction is really a good place to sell your fish too, isn't it? You cannot. The AKA is still trying but I doubt they will ever get it right. They have actually sent people to the ACA Convention to find out why ACAs are fun and AKAs are not. Do ACA folks realize that if you put a fish in the AKA Show you lose it and it gets sold at auction. I don't even think you get the money. Great outfit the AKA. Some very nice people though. Some of my best friends.

Everyone tries to find a way to get early registrations but it is a lost cause. Raffles including only the early folks are the most common but they do not help much. It isn't whether or not people want to go, it is what your circumstances are just before when YOU think your deadline is. You just can't rush people.

Now that doesn't mean we can't get creative. Let's work on it.

George

mrkillie

Members
Been there and it is not worth the effort. The fish sale room stinks...... find out why ACAs are fun and AKAs are not. .....
George

In the early years of the fish sale room, yes, it wasn't so great. But if you haven't been to one recently, you don't know what you are talking about. And if you have been to one recently, then you just don't know anything about killies.

As for having fun, never been to any fish event and didn't have fun. It is what you make of it. If you've been to an AKA convention and didn't have fun, it's your own fault. Rather, maybe it says something about you, a person who would maliciously attack another club for no good reason when a simple suggestion was made to try to enhance our own club's convention prospects.

Joel

George

I wasn't attacking anything, maliciously or otherwise. It is a fact that the AKA sent representatives to the ACA Convention to find out how to inject some fun into AKA Conventions.

I didn't like the fish sale room thing because there is no negotiation possible. Auctions work much better. The ACA tank rental room(s) also fills that role. I personally had fun at the AKAs because I went with friends and we went elsewhere when it got too heavy.

I have friends in the AKA and I know they continue to work on it but still feel it needs more.

George

The ACA convention this year has two different incentives for fish sellers this year. there are the two rental rooms where sellers (often dealers) can rent tanks and sell fish in a high traffic area without having to sit in their rooms all day. Also all the tanks are provided already and they don't have to fill their cars with tanks, racks, or sweater boxes.
The second is the sellers hallway. People who want to sell fish out of their rooms can reserve a room in the seller's hallway. Just call or email Ted Judy after you make your room reservation and he will make sure your room is in this hallway which is located on the first floor between the showroom , restaurant, and rental tank rooms. This is convenient for two reasons. It doesn't disturb guests by people tromping through the halls looking for sellers and it makes it easier for buyers to find sellers rooms.
I already have my room in the sellers hallway. and they are filling up fast if you want one.
Andy

George

That is a great idea Andy. We did something like that at the Catfish Conventions but the ACA has never done that as far as I know. Sounding good!

George