• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Has anyone seen my Pencilfish?

dSerk

Members
Picked up 9 N. beckfordi at the LFS the other night. About 1" per. Absolutely gorgeous. Fish were schoolin', human was so happy. Next morning down to three, today one.

No bodies, in or out of the tank. The tank has my 3.5" Severum, three 2" Festivum, and some cories and small plecos. The festivum were VERY curious about the pencilfish but their mouths are too small, which leaves my Sev as prime suspect. She could fit them in her mouth i guess... but she showed little interest... and I can't believe she ate 6 1" fish in a night. WTF?! :angry:

I think the beckfordi's are absolutely groovy fish and would love to have more but I don't think this is a mystery I can solve :(

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ocam's Razor...

...simplest explanation usually the right one. I suspect your severum 'erased' them.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

dSerk

Members
:lol::(:lol::(

Well, I guess the consolation is that now they're fertilizing my plants. Can't stay mad at my fish, but I'm kicking myself because the LFS does not get Nanostomus often at all.

mscichlid

Founder
You have severum and Mesonauta in a planted tank? Brave soul you are. Mine eat all green except anubius.

Sorry about the pencil fish. Bad, bad severum.

dSerk

Members
Brave soul you are.

Dumb, too. :p I couldn't resist, plants have always been part of my tanks. Original plan was put them all in pots then remove pots when fish start to anatagonize the plants. Well, I was so happy with the aquascape I decided to skip the pots.

So far, the severum and festivum have only showed interest (say "apetite") in the roots coming off the sword daughter plants stolon. There's 3 swords, some kinda cabomba, and a bunch of floating stuff, dwarf pistia, frogbit, and ceratophylum (hornwort? English names are so hard).

But it's going to be a year or so before those fish can really do any damage, right?