• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hard Green Algae Spots

rich_one

Members
Anyone know how to remove hard green spot algae off the glass without harming the fish or the glass?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Sigh... something's clearly wrong. This was titled "Hard Green Spot Algae"... not "Hard". SMH...

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Rich - Fixed the title.

As for removing them, I'd go to the trusty old razor blade. Make sure to clean off any oil before using it in the tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
I use a razorblade in one of those el-cheapo plastic safety holders from the Big Box Hardware stores. Oh, and wear short sleeves.

chriscoli

Administrator
Mr Clean Magic Eraser

I know that leaves a residue when I use it around the house....do you notice it shedding bits and pieces in the tank? (and, I'm assuming you're using the ones that do not have any cleaners in them already?)

ddavila06

Members
Rich - Fixed the title.

As for removing them, I'd go to the trusty old razor blade. Make sure to clean off any oil before using it in the tank.

how old? define old?? why old??? i like the brand new ones because they are smooth and rustless and less chance to scratch the glass. only times i use razors is to remove eggs off the glass lately.. just did yesterday :cool:

for the algea i scrape with any of my credit cards, and they still work just fine afterwards :D

jonclark96

Past CCA President
how old? define old?? why old??? i like the brand new ones because they are smooth and rustless and less chance to scratch the glass. only times i use razors is to remove eggs off the glass lately.. just did yesterday :cool:

for the algea i scrape with any of my credit cards, and they still work just fine afterwards :D

I should have written "ole" instead of "old". I was simply trying to be conversational in my tone.

I also use new blades and make sure to clean any of the machining oil residue off the blades before I stick it in the tank.

rich_one

Members
I like the razor blade and the credit card ideas! Thanks, all!

Um... a little scared to mess with the magic eraser though! Err... a lot scared!

-Rich

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Razor blades are your friends.

Unless they're on the front pane I tend to ignore them.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Spot algae is caused by infrequent water changes and low phosphate levels. I'll assume this isn't a planted tank, so dosing phosphates is out. If you don't want to scrape, try nerite snails. Can't say enough about them. Rachel usually carries a couple of varieties.

Blaise

JasonC

Members
In my experience (read: "based on the number I have killed"), nerites dont really like soft or acidic water. anyone have any ideas on a comparable snail for those conditions? The ramshorns I have all over the place just don't cut it with green spot algae.

rich_one

Members
Spot algae is caused by infrequent water changes and low phosphate levels. I'll assume this isn't a planted tank, so dosing phosphates is out. If you don't want to scrape, try nerite snails. Can't say enough about them. Rachel usually carries a couple of varieties.

Blaise
Nerites have worked well for me in the past, but I was looking for something I can use this weekend. As far as the infrequent water change thing, I'm afraid I am guilty as charged. This tank is in another part of the house from my other tanks, and being honest, I tend to stretch the water changes out a little further in between on this tank... a bad practice for sure. I have been contemplating relocating it to my basement, but alas... the wifey likes it where it is. So basically, I have to stop being as lazy with this tank as I have been, clearly.

-Rich

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Yet another option, that I have used with some success, is turning off anything that causes water movement then squirting the afflicted areas with hydrogen peroxide. Let it fizz for a while then turn everything back on. Works best against beard algae, but I've used it on spot algae as well. Thanks, GWAPA!

Otherwise, you're left with some scraping to do.

Blaise

ezrk

Members
I like the razor blade and the credit card ideas! Thanks, all!

Um... a little scared to mess with the magic eraser though! Err... a lot scared!

Magic erasers (the basic original version) are actually pretty much inert it turns out. They are basically a mildly abrasive plastic. I found this when I was surfing a reef forum and people were discussing how to clean acrylic tanks and these appear to be a real goto method, they are not only inert but safe for use on acrylic.

I slice off little rectangles from the big eraser pad and just use my fingertips to rub algae off, works like a charm.

rich_one

Members
Magic erasers (the basic original version) are actually pretty much inert it turns out. They are basically a mildly abrasive plastic. I found this when I was surfing a reef forum and people were discussing how to clean acrylic tanks and these appear to be a real goto method, they are not only inert but safe for use on acrylic.

I slice off little rectangles from the big eraser pad and just use my fingertips to rub algae off, works like a charm.
Wow... amazing. Learn something new everyday in this club! LOL...

-Rich