• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hap/Peacock Additions: Yes/No

Would like to add the following fish to my all male 55 gallon - 4' tank.

However I am concerned as I read they are too timid for the arrangment.

Additions

- Blue Orchid

- Sulfer Head

Current Stock

- Taiwan Reef

- German Red

- Benga

- Regal

- Red Shoulder

- Electra Deep Water

- Dragonblood

- Ethelwynnae

Thoughts on my potential additions?

cmcpart0422

Members
However I am concerned as I read they are too timid for the arrangment.

What you read was accurate. The Maylandi and the kandeense stay on the small side when it comes to peacocks. If its an all male tank they might not get picked on but will most likely stay a colorless grey. I have kept both of these and suggest they be kept in breeding groups.

I'm no expert but your 55 seems to have reached its stocking limit. If you must add more maybe consider an adult flametail or a red empress or even a yellow lab for some contrast to all the red and blue.

Others will probably chime in here and give you some good advice. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, concur that neither maylandi or kandeense can do an all-male tank.

However, I don't think you're reached your stocking limit. IMHO, if you monitor the personalities carefully and have the tank with some rocks for caves, I think you can do 10-12 in a 4' 55 gallon.

But you do need to keep away from the more aggressive types i.e. the jacobfriberghi peacocks. (Ultimately, your dragon blood may need to go as they can be unpredictable.)

some possible additions:

otopharynx lithobates (will look similar to the kandeense or maylandi)
albino something like a ruby red or taiwan reef

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 on the dwarf peacocks not working out.

Other species to consider adding that would work with peacocks (besides Holly's suggestions):

-Otopharynx heterodon/tetrastigma/tetraspilus
-Copadichromis (other than borleyi)

Add more than one at a time(and rescape) though to minimize their chances of getting singled out as the new kids.

Good luck!