• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

GSMC eggs!

dustin

Members
Never expected it but my misbar gold stripe maroon clowns have layed eggs on the overflow of my 220RR sw tank. Talk about exciting!
de504d68.jpg
See them in red/pink to my males left. Now gotta figure out how to keep the fry alive after they hatch. I know rotifers is a must gave and I'll have a million of those tomorrow from my supplier. I'll try to keep ya updated. Wish me luck!

mrkillie

Members
I read an article recently that said you basicly need to keep the fry of most marine fishes swimming in food. Move them to a smaller tank (5 gal) with low flow filtration (sponge with slow air flow) so that the neither fry nor the rotifers are removed from the water. You don't want the flow so strong that the babies spend all their energy swimming instead of growing. About 1-2 weeks after they are free swimming, you should be able to start introducing baby brine shrimp to the food mix.

dustin

Members
Yup I read basically the same thing. Should b interesting. I also read once they start laying, they will consistently lay every 10-18 days.

dustin

Members
Thanks everyone. It's gonna b a trial n error type deal. My buddy's tomato clowns just layed eggs today so I'm sure we'll b successful at raising the fry somewhere along the line. I'll try my best to keep u updated as well.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Missed this thread when it came up.

Congrats, Dustin.

I have Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clownfish at home and will check out the fry raising section for you when I get home. It's an awesome book if you can find it used online. Really comprehensive and takes the mystery out of breeding them.

Even made me consider trying to breed them at one point.

PS: I'll bet mom is a really friendly fish, no? :p

Hicgup

Members
I've been fortunate enough to raise five different species of Amphiprion and the lone species of Premnas as well. The GSM have the smallest larvae, yet they are the biggest clowns. Once you get a handle on raising/enriching rotifers you will be well on the way. The really are not harder than any other clown, but the larvae always took about four or five more days to metamorphose than other species, and once they do look out! They start picking on each other right away! Amazing to see half centimeter clowns attacking each other.