• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green Terror or Red Ceibal?

Zeppelin2088

Members
Cant decide which I want to start keeping in my new tank. I've always wanted to try GTs but now I'm really wanting red ceibals. They look awesome and seem like fun to keep from what ive read. Now I can't decide. Anyone have an opinion?

Rams and/or Corys work with either?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
Cant decide which I want to start keeping in my new tank. I've always wanted to try GTs but now I'm really wanting red ceibals. They look awesome and seem like fun to keep from what ive read. Now I can't decide. Anyone have an opinion?

I have a GT. He isn't big yet, but his color is nice. I haven't kept red ceibals, so I can't offer too much of an opinion.

Rams and/or Corys work with either?

Rams and Cories are better for a traditional community tank, and definitely would be harassed eaten in the longer term.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have them both in a 90G. A pair of each. The cories may eventually turn into a snack. The rams will be petrified.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
For the long term health of the ceibals, they need a cool down period. In their natural habitat, the water temps may get down in to the 60's in the winter time. Most folks who I have talked to who kept chanchitos (as well as gymnogoes) long term will say that the lack of cool down period will shorten the life span and reduce spawning activity. That said, cories and rams are not good tank mates.

As for GT's, I'd stay away from rams and cories as well. Neither are on the same level aggression wise.

Last edited:

Zeppelin2088

Members
I didn't figure they would work with GT. Some of the info I've read said red ceibals could be mild and some said very aggressive so I wasn't sure. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

The only problem for me with the "cool down" period is the other fish in the tank and if they can handle it. I don't want to add much more to the tank tho. Would pictus be able to handle these conditions?

My only other tank is African so I'm new to the sa/ca setup.

verbal

CCA Members
What size tank would the fish be in?

If you have a pond or can put a rubbermaid stock tank outside, you can do your cool down period that way(during fall or spring or both).

Zeppelin2088

Members
The tank is 75gal. The only thing in it so far is a Cory that was given to me, so she's enjoying the space for now. I have a stock tank but it's not setup for fish, it's just the tank.

I also read that they will grow much larger if u don't give them a cool down period. True?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Red Ceibal Chanchitos are great fish...and probably perfect for a 75g...but not with either cories or rams.

They can be scrappy but can't hang, in my experience, with Central Americans.

Chanchitos are from sub-tropical waters (i.e. it gets cold in the winter...kind of like Florida), so cooling them off is much preferred. I haven't found degredation / disease issues like I have with Gymnogeophagus that aren't cooled down, but they'll do much better. I keep mine on the lowest level of tanks in my fishroom (and on the floor) without heaters and it gets down to 64 or so down there. They breed when it warms up in the spring and through the summer.

I don't know where you're located but I have some spare XL Red Ceibals...as well as some small Austroloheros sp. "Local", which is another variety.

Matt

Zeppelin2088

Members
I live in Oklahoma, so probably nowhere near you. I would like to get them at a smaller size, I like to watch them grow and change. I think I'm gonna go with a group of red ceibals though. Still not sure about tank mates though... Any ideas?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Buenos Aires tetras would work, as they can handle the lower temps. I'm sure there are plecos that are compatible as well, but may not be easily found in the hobby.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Go bigger

I's like to see the Ceibal that can eat a C. robustus, semiaquilis or super arcuatus. I keep medium-sized Corydoras with A. oblongums and they're fine, though it's not like anyone is ever starving.

Have to agree about smaller rams, although Bolivian rams are considerably larger, pretty spunky and seem to hold their own around much larger fish IME. You could always go with something mellower like B. cupido and still have room for another group of cichlids.

MonteSS

Members
My Oblongum has not had a cool down and at 4 years old is pushing 6"

Here is the father of my fish in breeding colors. I believe most of the fish around came from his spawn.
Male3c.jpg

I would grow out some Red C's with a single GT in a 75g and see how it goes.

Great little fish

GL....Bill

dogofwar

CCA Members
Bill - oblongum and Ceibal are from different places... It definitely gets cool where Ceibal are from (Centurion, UR). Oblongum are thought to be from Brazil but no one knows for sure.

Zepp - I forget where, but I've shipped fish to OK a couple of times (little ones mostly). I'd get some Buenos Aires tetras to go with the Red Ceibal.

The Red Ceibal are hell on wheels when they breed. so I'd stay away from cats. I've only kept them in species tanks and/or with tetras that eventually got eaten or killed. They'll get bigger than in nature in your aquarium, mostly because of the abundance of food. Another tankmate option would be Uruguayan pikes (or other pikes than don't prefer cooler temps).

Matt

Zeppelin2088

Members
If I removed them from the main tank 75g, would a 30g tank be too small for awhile for their cool down period by themselves?

I don't know much about pikes... Don't most get pretty big?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I had 20 Buenos Aires Tetras in my 90 with the GT pair and the Red Ceibal pair about six months ago. I am down to one now. They were snacks but I am not sure who ate them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The one tetra left must be one bad (or quick) fella ;)

As an aside, Tony has a BUNCH of BA Tetras available...

Matt

I had 20 Buenos Aires Tetras in my 90 with the GT pair and the Red Ceibal pair about six months ago. I am down to one now. They were snacks but I am not sure who ate them.