• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Green Slime

S

suehypno

Hi folks,

I've got a 90-gal Tang tank that is currently acquiring a nasty case of green slime algae. I understand that it isn't actually an algae in the classic sense, but some sort of bacteria, etc. At the last PVAS meeting I mentioned it to a few folks and someone recommended a particular treatment to wipe it out, but for the life of me I can't remember now what the med/chemical was, or who told me.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! I'm embarrassed right now to show my tank to anyone, it's so icky. I'm worried that eventually it will also harm my fish.

longstocking

Members
its not algae. how many water changes are you doing? I used to have this problem untill i realize that I was doing too many.......... it is caused basically by low nitrates and an unblanced tank... (meaning yes it could be cycled but it not fully matured).

Just cut back on the water changes....... and it should fix its self.

S

suehypno

Nah, that can't be it, can it? Honestly, I'm doing fewer water changes than I used to, anyway. About 1/4 of the tank every 2-3 weeks. If anything, I figure that the nitrates are too high. I'm used to planted tanks where higher nitrates aren't a bad thing, necessarily (I never vacumn the gravel in my 55-gal planted tank).

L

Larry-T

The best way to get rid of that stuff is to put in some harder higher plants which will out-compete the slimey stuff for nutrients. Unfortunately, one of the best competitors is duckweed, but java fern, java moss, and other plants will also do the job.